Old Brick House Inside Walls - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2007, 11:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Old Brick House inside walls

The wife and I have been remodeling our turn-of-the-century brick house and I have A question about the inside walls. Why would they use red clay hollow blocks for the inside walls.How do I attach drywall to it? Tapcons pull right through or crack the block

Advertisement

rick32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 580

How was the old plaster attached? The reason they used them was for insulation and cost.

Advertisement

Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:52 PM   #3

they attached the plaster right to the block ,no lath. I was thinking about toe nailing a header into the rafters both top and bottom then run 2x4s laid flat from top to bottom. any thoughts?
Old 11-07-2007, 02:21 PM   #4
Mechanical Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick32 View Post
they attached the plaster right to the block ,no lath. I was thinking about toe nailing a header into the rafters both top and bottom then run 2x4s laid flat from top to bottom. any thoughts?
You might want to just build a stud wall against the bricks so you have space to insulate (if necessary) and add some switch boxes (if needed).
gshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:07 AM   #5

I was thinking about getting those shallow boxes for the outlets then putting up foam sheeting im trying not to shrink the room. the outter walls are two layers of brick with a trapped air space in between.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:15 AM   #6
Mechanical Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick32 View Post
I was thinking about getting those shallow boxes for the outlets then putting up foam sheeting im trying not to shrink the room. the outter walls are two layers of brick with a trapped air space in between.
That's not a bad idea either. If space is at a premium, that's a good way to go. I have some walls like that in my house, but I have the ability to move and rebuild. But in your case, this sounds like a good place to start.
gshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:49 PM   #7

I remodeled the boys room with 2x4s studded it shrank the room a lot. Here in the livingroom i have already removed the fireplace ( wood floor inside ran on gas) it took up a lot of room. I left the chimny intact in case I want to run a gas heater in the basement

Advertisement