Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #1

Share |

Is it ok to mount 4x4's to deck header for a 6' fence?

I'm extending one side of my existing deck 12' out to surround a jacuzzi. The jacuzzi will be on the ground on a concrete pad which is already in place. I'm putting up a 6' tall vinyl privacy fence around the deck extension. The fence would be 2 sides of 12' length and one of 14' length. I'm limited to a 6' high fence due to local codes and want the bottom of the fence to start at the deck surface for maximum privacy. One side of the new deck will be bolted to the existing deck with hangers. Is it structurally sound to bolt the 4x4's for the fence to the 2x10 header around the edges of the deck instead of burying them in concrete in the ground? I was planning on adding some blocks of wood between the floor joists and corner brackets around the perimeter to make it more rigid and I could easily double up the 2x10's for more support.The 4x4 posts would have the vinyl sleeves over top of them above the level of the flooring. This would save me a lot of digging in a yard that has mostly clay and shale in it and save on having to level/square the fence posts in concrete. The existing deck is anchored into my house and supported by footers in the yard.

Thanks in advance for any feedback

Last edited by dbldee20; 05-02-2012 at 09:37 PM.
dbldee20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
The Fence Guy

Is it ok to mount 4x4's to deck header for a 6' fence?

If you use wood 4 x 4's you will be losing one of the big advantages of vinyl, that it doesn't rot or warp, and you may be looking for trouble a few years down the road. Better off starting out right from the beginning by sinking the posts for the pergola in concrete. It may delay you starting on your project while you figure out what you want your pergola, but in the long run it will save you a lot of headaches.

TheFenceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote