DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Odd house, what do you think?

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Mort 
#1 ·
I love nature. I love being barefoot on the ground. So here's my idea of a dream home.

Don't laugh, I drew the floor plan on paper, but in mine craft its easy to make changes and its a 3D model! It is to scale though. Each block is 2ft

Yes, there is a pool right when you walk out of those rooms. Yes, I want grass just like that :p

So a quick run through, the kitchen, small living room, and the rooms will have hard wood floor. Walk way connecting everything. A pool and all there would be plants planted around. Then definitely a swing set somewhere in there c:

Kitchen and living room: 14 x 40
Each room: 14 x 20
Pool: 16 x 30

Whole house: 72 x 72

Maybe the kitchen and rooms could be a little wider. But I have some questions before I go deeper.

Questions..

What do I do for the foundation? Will I have a problem with having foundation only around where the walls will be?

Would watering the grass from under the ground be hard? Would it cause the grass to get to mushy? Maybe if it was the right amount of water at the right depth it could be done?

Is there anything else I need to consider when building this?

Thank you c:

See less See more
#2 ·
So only the rooms will have a roof over them? Where do you live?

Normally the foundation has to go all around, it gives it strength.

As far as watering from under the ground, never heard of it. Water doesn't normally flow up hill, so you'd have to make sure it was shallow enough so that the roots could get to it.

#6 ·
I was thinking a roof over everything. But I never took into consideration the humidity..

Do you think a wide foundation around just the walls would work? Or perhaps there is some other way?

I googled it and it seems some people grow plants this way. It just doesn't say anything about how soft the ground gets. I don't think there is a way around the soft ground, but from underground at least the grass would not be wet. As long as this humidity thing gets worked out..

If you don't put a roof over the wet areas ,you might make that work---

with a roof?

You will have a swamp---the humidity will rot out the house in a couple of years.

Indoor pools cost hundreds a month to run the humidification units--add a watered lawn---holy cow---
Lol I never thought about this, and this is a huge obstacle. I was thinking roof all around. What if I did stone walls or something like that? It would save the house, but I still don't want it to be a swamp :p Especially because I want to build this in Arizona.

Crap.. Maybe if I did only have a roof over certain areas? Arizona doesn't get a whole lot of rain. And if its hot I could always have air conditioning in my room. Or perhaps re design it so the kitchen, living room, and rooms are connected and under a roof. Then there be a big open to the sky part with pool and grass. But then that is just like having a house with a lawn and outside pool. Maybe that is what has to be.

Are you going to mine for all of the materials?
Creative mode - The store :p

#3 ·
If you don't put a roof over the wet areas ,you might make that work---

with a roof?

You will have a swamp---the humidity will rot out the house in a couple of years.

Indoor pools cost hundreds a month to run the humidification units--add a watered lawn---holy cow---

#5 ·
Many outbuildings just have a perimeter foundation but those are typically sheds with a gravel floor. I think you have a lot of interesting challenges with a design like this - first that comes to mind is both the interior and exterior of the foundation need to be waterproofed.

#9 ·
you can do all you want as its your house for all time 'cause i can't imagine anyone else ever wanting to own it when it comes time for you to sell,,, maybe your local bldg permit office might have a comment or 2,,, since you don't list your location as this site request'd, no one can offer any serious help im-n-s-h-fo.

nobody says you need concrete floors but its unlikely you'll get a certificate of occupancy,,, have you thought of insuring this oasis ? i do wonder if any insurance company would have you for a customer - liability, fire, etc ? would a utility company even provide service ?

you're not serious about this, are you ? tell me you're just funnin' us,,, :whistling2:

#10 ·
If it doesn't sell then it doesn't sell I'm not worried c: What are the kind of comments do you think the permit office would have? Its just a house without floors.

I live in California and after seeing someones signature saying listing location is helpful, I thought wow ya I can see how that would help a lot. But ultimately decided against it at the time because this house will be built in Arizona.

I am here for things like this c: I'm not sure what a certificate of occupancy entails. But were only talking no floors.. Hmm could you provide some insight to this? Same for insurance. I guess I would have to ask around. Unless you can help? I don't see a reason why utilities company wouldn't.. Enlighten me?

I am serious, but as you can see im kind of all over the place c: Which gives the view that im not. I just have never built a home or even know all that much about it. I'm sure by the end of this I will be of more use on this site xD

#11 ·
I have been thinking about your idea with great enthusiasm! However i would like to point out some things you need to think about. Trying to cover you grass area with a roof would be very difficult. The moisture that would produced from irrigating the lawn would be very detrimental to the inside of the structure. The grass would need exposure to sunlight to grow. Putting a "greenhouse" roof to allow for the sunlight would turn your home into an oven.

I don't know how much time you have spent in AZ during July and August, but this is their "monsoon" season and it get very hot and the humidity goes up. Some of the rain storms I have seen would raise the moisture level in the house.

You may want to consider making the foot print a courtyard with a movable curtain covering the large area and making rooms for the bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, and some of the living area. If you have ever sat out in 115º heat you will want some of the living area covered. Even at night I have seen the temperature only go down to 100º.

You have not stated where you will be building in AZ. Most areas are getting stringent with building codes. Making the living area separate from the court yard will be easier to get permits. You will need plans submitted by an engineer or architect. These are items that you will ned to think about prior to building.

#12 ·
That was wonderful, thank you!

The inside grass and pool has to go. If that is turned into a courtyard that would be very fine with me c: Im even ok with it being 'normal' landscaping. Although my next draw up of the house will have the courtyard as long as everything still fits and is left relatively cheap.

Mesa would is nice, but land is a little cheaper in Scottsdale. Population size probably has to do with that. I'm not looking for a super big place, so that's ok.

So I have a question, If I want dirt floors, how does that work? Foundation would only be around walls? Has their been houses like this? How does this affect heating and cooling?

#13 ·
What if each room was it's own little house spread out from the others. Some rooms connected for bathroom access when raining. Then have a large privacy wall around the perimeter of everything. Connect them all together with paver walkways to each room. Similar to how you have it now, but with a roof only on the actual rooms.

Of course, each one would have an A/C window unit.

#16 ·
Kinda crappy when reality sets in, huh? I guess that's why "normal" is normal.

I don't see why you couldn't have the floor plan you want, but you'll have to enclose the living areas. Maybe put some of those mondo-expensive full height super efficient windows facing the courtyard, so it seems like you're outside but still won't cook you in the summers.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, but just remember that those places you see on those Extreme Homes shows are owned by people with more money than Davey Crockett.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.