Oak Fireplace Surround - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2010, 01:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Oak fireplace surround

I am installing a fireplace in my soon to be finished basement. The mantel and surround I am using is premade of oak. The floor is my basement is concrete. I know you are not supposed to have untreated wood in contact with concrete. Do I need to put something between the concrete and the wood? What should I use?

Thanks

Below is an example of the fireplace enclosure I'm using, only mine is unfinished oak. I will be staining it at a later time.
Attached Images

Advertisement

NE78FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,072
Thumbs down

Oak fireplace surround

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE78FJ40 View Post
.................I will be staining it at a later time.
Bad idea. What if you have a sudden water leak? Water will wick up the end grain and stain the wood permanently.

I would first stain and finish the mantle on all sides with multiple coats then for extra insurance apply a layer of epoxy on the bottom side end grain. Then after all sides were sealed do the installation.

Advertisement

Last edited by PaliBob; 03-28-2010 at 01:19 PM. Reason: sp
PaliBob is online now   Reply With Quote