NYC Permits For Remodeling A Brownstone - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2006, 06:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

NYC permits for remodeling a brownstone

Has anyone on this site had to deal with the city of New York? I have a brownstone in Brooklyn and want to split the apartments on two floors. The contractor I've been talking to about doing the job is telling me to let him start the job and then contact the permit department. he says they may give me a fine, but will not stop the work. If I apply for the permit first they may not allow me to make the changes I want to make.

I know he just wants to make his money and get out, but does anyone here have any experience with NYC building and renovation problems?
Thanks!

Advertisement

togi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 580

If you get caught counterfieting money, do they allow you to spend what you have already printed?

Advertisement

Tscarborough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:24 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,134

togi1 -

Don't let him start without a permit. In your location, you eventually will have to show a permit.

If there is a problem, it is yours and you cannot escape because it is your project. The contractor can just walk away. The contractor would like to collect money from you and the have an inspector show up before he did a thing, so he could just skip. Do you think you would have an easy time getting anything out of the contractor if your project was illegal(no permit)?

Do it the right way, especially since it is an apartment and the tennant has rights.

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 06:17 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

I, myself, would not consider starting a job without a permit.

What happens if you make the changes, and the city says you can't, and you have to change them back? This could be a costly mistake. There is a possibilty the changes you want aren't going to fly with the city or you wouldn't have the comment "If I apply for the permit first they may not allow me to make the changes I want to make," in your post.

Scarrrry! Get the permit.
Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:45 PM   #5

Hey did you start yet? Be careful, Don't start without the permit, My Brother did that in Park Slope and the city sued him for 5 million dollars, in 1987, all because he did not have the permit in the window, He won his case, because he had the permit just not visible, careful.
PS I live in Brooklyn...Later
Woodpecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:20 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

well as they say, it's easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission...

but then again, it ain't the contractor taking any risk, he'll get paid either way...

heed everyone's advice above.
elementx440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:37 AM   #7

Hey here s the web sit for the DOB in NYC.. The dept, Of Buildings http://home2.nyc.gov/html/dob/html/a..._permits.shtml

The guy next door to me in the attached to me gutted his whole house and renovated it without a permit, he did not get caught and I did not report him ,although I should, because he has comprimised the integrity of my home now and it shakes everytime a truck or bus, hits the manhole in front of my house.

Advertisement

Woodpecker is offline   Reply With Quote