Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2007, 11:13 PM   #1

Share |

NYC, Insurance claim, Lawyer? Contractor? Insurance company?who first(house trouble)

Hi I have a serious problem and I think there are some cracks in the foundation. My neighbor gutted his house and our houses are attached. I think he compromised the foundation here as he dug out under the front and back of our adjoining homes and removed cinderblock, supporting walls, He did all of this without a permit. I know him a long time and don't want to stir things up but, I truly feel he damaged my house. He actuall extended his house underground. he dug out under the front and pack porches, imagine that?

I also have some serious foundation cracks in the exterior walls of the building. this was caused by the men who installed the water pipe 20 years ago, I was told by my 90 year old friend who owned the house...the house is frame/stucco There was also water damage from roof leaks, Hurricane residual effects from outter bands of rain from some of the past hurricanes, believe it or not. Now the worse part, everytime a bus goes by the house shakes, even the dog gets scared.

I am not sure whether to call the insurance company or a lawyer first. I feel that the city is causing a lot of problems ,as well because of the sewer outside. Every time a bus or truck hits that sewer, i feel like the house is going down. My heart goes into a somersault! it scary,it wakes me ( and my dog, out of a dead sleep, I actually wake when I hear the bus coming, in total fear of whether its gonna rock the house. I have made complaints to the dept. of transportation & the environmental protection agency. The sewer doesn't have a concrete foundation only old bricks trollys used to come up and down this street, the problem is the houses are 100 years old and now we have huge trucks and busses barreling down here, and its ruining the intregrity of the homes here, most of them have foundation cracks.

Also, another problem is I am afraid the center supporting beam is cracked, as the floor is kinda sinking in that area, Due to a radiator leak. Are there any contractors and Lawyers that could help me, I don't know what to do first, the insurance company is Allstate, I am in Brooklyn, New York, Thank You, what kind of Lawyer do I look for?, and how am I gonna get this place stable??? I am litterly scared to death.
Sleepless in Brooklyn, NY

Woodpecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:16 PM   #2

NYC, Insurance claim, Lawyer? Contractor? Insurance company?who first(house trouble)

Oops that literally, scared to death!!
I almost feel like there is a sink hole under us . ( they say there used to be a stream under here. I hope this place doesn't go down,EEk

Old 04-03-2007, 11:22 PM   #3

Well I think you need to call an inspector before anything else, to find out the true problems and they can probably refer you in the right direction. Call your county building engineer for more assistance.
elementx440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:33 PM   #4

Unhappy

They may condem the house, I just inherited it and haven't even gone to probate it yet?? There are probably 100's of violations because the owner was a 90 year old do it your selfer....he did all the electric, and there actually is some original bad wiring in the ceilings , and the ceiling lights don't work, in the hallway bathroom and a small bedroom, I am actually living just finished fixing the roofs. I really truly don't hav the money for an electrician to rewire everything either, That would cost a fortune, I know if an inspector comes in here I will be alienated from here and will face serious consequences, for sure.
Boo hoo... This is a scary situation...
Old 04-03-2007, 11:35 PM   #5

oops ,
That should have read, and just finished the roofs.
I am actually living in the home.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:59 PM   #6

Sounds like your pretty well screwed! Also sounds like a fabricated post. Sounds like "jenny" on another forum.
Set it on fire and collect the insurance. Guess you can't if you set it on fire. Yeah, your screwed.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:59 PM   #7
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Take responsibility. Don't try to push your problems on others. If its your house and you want to live there then get an independent home inspection done. Not a city code inspection. Ask him to help you prioritize work that needs to be done. Start from the outside in once foundation issues (if any) are resolved.

Or, just sell the house. Many folks will help unburden you from a fixer upper and pay cash quickly. Just do not expect top dollar. To maximize your cash do not go through a real estate agent. Just stop by a real estate investment club meeting and ask around or put an ad in the local paper.

Brik is offline   Reply With Quote