Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2010, 10:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

number of questions on siding project

Ok so i'm in a siding project and here are the details:

house built late 1960's. Very simple rectangular Ranch with brick facia on front. rear and sides were until today sided with vertical hardwood sheets. The north side of the house (garage side) doesn't get any sun and after years of abuse the siding has rotted out in places. The south side (bedrooms) gets too much sun.. all day long and is fairly brittle. This is in eastern nebraska. 99+ summers, -10 winters.

The good news is there is NO damage below the siding. There is unfaced insulation between the studs. and thats it. There are a few gaps we are seeing sunlight through which i'm fixing.

What i'm aiming to do:

I'm going to upgrade to 7 1/4 fiber cement lap siding (6 inch reveal). I'd also like to improve the insulation of the house while i'm in there. The existing insulation between the studs is getting replaced where it's worn, but for the most part staying in place. There are a few places on the garage side where there was no insulation which i'm putting some in because I have enough. I also purchased foamular 250 3/4 rigid insulation i'd like to install, and housewrap. The existing siding is down due to most of it being either rotten or super brittle). didn't trust installing heavy fiber cement to it. This means there is NO sheathing, i'm starting from stud walls.

So here are the actual questions:

1) first, anything strike you as a giant no-no to you?
2) Which comes first, house wrap or foam?
3) should I install a drip plate or something at the base of the foam/starter strip siding? I'm worried about bugs tunneling into the foam.
4) last, while it would be lovely to install wood sheathing, I can't afford it. is that a huge no no or is the rigid foam enough?

I'm here because i'm getting conflicting answers on this.

you're comments and help is greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by brianw; 08-15-2010 at 10:21 PM.
brianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Your local code may allow no sheeting,but the integrity your walls would gain would be worth the cost in my opinion.

daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I agree actually. just purchased the OSB, going to go pick it up in a few. bringing the foam board back to the shop. I've spent the morning replacing the between wall insulation and getting everything else in order so should be good after OSB, wrap and then fiber cement.
brianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Are you eliminating the foam board now?

Be safe, Gary