Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2007, 08:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Novice question: Installing windows in wood sided home...(pic)

Greetings,
I am in the early process of educating myself about window installation, and I have an incredibly 'newb' question for you pro's.

In this property (pic): http://www.gfxmoo.com/front/homestead_10.jpg

You can see the very small front windows. I am planning on replacing them with a set of 2x4 double hungs around a 4x4 fixed.

I am familiar with the process from the interior prep, framing the opening and installing the 'window'. However, with regard to flashing it properly from the outside.....how is that best approached in this situation?
Obviously that wood siding must come off to allow for flashing?...(gulp)....but how to do it without destroying the siding?

Bottom line: How to approach the exterior work on this without tearing apart the whole front of the house?

Thanks for any insight!
(btw - I am going to hire someone to do 1 window set,....and then hopefully I can do subsequent windows,...I am aware this is not a simple DIY job for the novice like myself).

Dr. Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:50 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

ooohhh...tough job on that one - regarding the siding.

have you considered replacement style windows instead of New Construction style (if they would work).

That siding is way too pretty to remove. The only thing I could offer is that you remove them very carefully by "Punching" the siding nails all the way thru, and then removing the board - "gingerly"...(for future reinstallation)

There might be other suggestions out there, but I gotta run out to work.

Good Luck...

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:57 AM   #3

hmmm....not off to a pretty start.

I do not see how replacement style windows would work? We are wanting MUCH larger windows,.......not simply replacing the existing same-sized windows.

Is there any way to minimize the amount of flashing required? Some new 'technology'? I could see cutting the siding back 'a little',....doing some 4" flashing and then covering it with trim?......but I assume the whole point is that the flashing extends under the sheathing and also UNDER the siding??

ugh....
Old 07-06-2007, 10:33 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jim View Post
Is there any way to minimize the amount of flashing required? Some new 'technology'?
Not that I'm aware of.

Quote:
I could see cutting the siding back 'a little',....doing some 4" flashing and then covering it with trim?...
You could draw out a square or rectangle (of the siding material) that is larger than the window itself, and CAREFULLY remove the siding with a saw set to the existing siding depth. Chisel out the corners gingerly. That area would later be filled with "Casing Trim stock*.
Then install the new windows and their nailing fins. We prefer to use silicone under the flanges/fins and Tyvek Tape over the flanges/fins (Water and Ice membrane tends to be a little too thick and "offsets" the trim work that is placed over the window flanges (trim casing) -n other words, it deosn't sit flat against the exterior walls.

* Get some matching wood stock (matched to the existing siding). Rip down the material to match whatever the sized areas were that you "overcut" around the new window frame. That area usually ranges between 3" to 6" to accomodate the window nailing fins/flange and the Tyvek tape overlap. Essentially, you are "Picture Framing" around the new windows. You can either miter-cut the corners of straight cut them (whatever cut looks best for the home). Clear caulk around the new trimwork where the siding meets the trim. If you live in a moderate climate (no harsh winters), you can overlap the trim on top of the siding, rather than against it.

Quote:
but I assume the whole point is that the flashing extends under the sheathing and also UNDER the siding??
YES, yes, yes.... Do the way as listed above, and you will also accomplish the same.

Tyvek Tape: http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek_Constru...ucts/tape.html

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 07-06-2007 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Spelling
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:11 AM   #5

Now that sounds like a potentially much easier way to do it!

Essentially the window 'trim' on the exterior will cover the flanges/barrier...and then it can be caulked where the siding meets the trim on all 4 sides to seal.

Interesting.....
Old 07-06-2007, 07:33 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Will you just be replacing these two windows or will you be doing the whole structure?

redline is offline   Reply With Quote