Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2012, 04:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Notching Joists

ya you arent supposed to and all. However I am running a beam that is replacing a load bearing a wall that I am about to tear down... and I want to hide the GL beam a bit as it is a 6" x 13" x 16' . So my engineer says I can notch joists around 5 and a half inches for each joist of the 2nd floor and the beam will go through them all and rest on 2x6 ends.... So I assume this is kosher as he said I could do it and its on the plans... however I am wondering how much can I deviate.... basically how much can I notch since the beam basically reinforces each joist... can I do 6, 7, 8, 9inches?? Heck can I just remove the joists entirely where the beam goes and have the joists be connected with simpson hangers to the beam itself? These are 11 -7/8 "I" joists by the way.

Second questions, I should brace the joists with 2x4 on both sides of EACH joist, so there are 6 joists, that means 12 braces? Can I run a 16 foot 2x4 along the entire ceiling on both sides of where the beam is going in.. basically right next to it a few inches.... and then a 2x4 holding up each joist at all 6 joists on both sides = 12 2x4 braces....then I jack the beam up and walla. Yes I have plans, permits, yada yada, I am going to do it myself so tell me if I am going about it right please.

jace781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:30 AM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,094

Notching Joists

1st Question....here is a link that explains what and where to notch...I would not go outside these boundries...

http://ftp.resource.org/codes.gov/bs...awood.S560.pdf

2nd Question...not sure I understand what you mean by braces? Are you refering to blocking?

edit...thanks for adding the 'have permits, etc etc etc'.......otherwise, the next post was going to be "Do you have permits and engineering".......yea, I know, I'm tired of it as well....it's right....but still tired of it...

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:58 AM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,032

Notching Joists

I suggest you run your ideas by the engineer. In my experience, most engineer do not bite, at least not as hard as a bulldog, and anytime you deviate from plans you really need to ask the designer what impact the deviation will have on suitability.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:52 AM   #4
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Notching Joists

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16
edit...thanks for adding the 'have permits, etc etc etc'.......otherwise, the next post was going to be "Do you have permits and engineering".......yea, I know, I'm tired of it as well....it's right....but still tired of it...
Tired of people being asked if they are doing the right thing. That makes a lot of sense. Don't like it...don't comment on it when your not being asked.