Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #1

Share |

notched rafters recycled as ceiling joists?

Hi all,

So I've got a stack of 2x8 x 16 rafters that have bird mouths notched into one end.

Would these be OK to use as ceiling joists as long as the notched ends are in the overlap (standard 2 outer wall, 1 inner wall load bearer, overlapping joists sistered together on 16s)?

If so, which way should the notch face? I was thinking upwards as to not a) interfere with drywall nailing on the undersides and b) would be slightly stronger at resisting sagging) but wanted to confirm.

Thanks,
-rev

revlis_dyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #2

Post a picture of them.
Not a great idea since there's not suppost to be any cuts, notches or holes within 2' of the ends.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Post a picture of them.
Not a great idea since there's not suppost to be any cuts, notches or holes within 2' of the ends.
Joe, isn't it the other way round? If you have to have a notch, better near the end surely?
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

I think your fine. Notch wont matter up or down. Set ceiling joists with crown up.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #5

with a bridsmouth cut on a 2x8 makes it equivalent to a 2x6 at best, so your saying 16 ft span with that? I wouldnt, just saying.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
Framing Contractor

Op never said the span was 16'. Op is talking about having the notched part hanging past the bearing wall. This is not a problem. Obviously span would be an issue at full length, but that was never implied.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:14 AM   #7

Are these keeping your opposing rafters from spreading?

Gary
Old 08-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #8

If it hangs over then why not just cut off the end with the notch?
Old 08-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #9

You want to cut the ceiling joist wall to wall anyway, you dont want a 2 foot overlap. The 3 1/2 wall overlap is all you want.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #10

Don't have a camera handy, but yeah, the notch would be hanging past the load bearing wall. span is 12ft, notch is at about 13 ft, entire board length is 16ft.

I could cut them, yes, but if the overlap doesn't hurt anything, and indeed makes the sistering stronger and ties the two opposite walls together stronger, then why not just leave them?
revlis_dyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #11

Because they crown and the ends will start warping and poking a hole in your ceiling sheetrock. The wont let me pass inspection with anything more than 6-10" past.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #12
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer450R View Post
Because they crown and the ends will start warping and poking a hole in your ceiling sheetrock. The wont let me pass inspection with anything more than 6-10" past.
I'm under the impression that this is 'used' lumber....hence, it has pretty much done all the moving it's going to do....is that still going to be an issue?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #13
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by revlis_dyi
Don't have a camera handy, but yeah, the notch would be hanging past the load bearing wall. span is 12ft, notch is at about 13 ft, entire board length is 16ft.

I could cut them, yes, but if the overlap doesn't hurt anything, and indeed makes the sistering stronger and ties the two opposite walls together stronger, then why not just leave them?
Because it doesn't make it stronger. That overlap can also stick down below the existing ceiling joist. Cut it flush with the wall and be done with it....that's all you need.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #14

^^^^x10
Old 08-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #15

The reason I asked if the c.j. would be tying walls together, is that shear forces are present there. To resist the outward push at the walls from the rafters sag, the laps over bearing need to be long enough not to split with the 3-39 nails required there, per IRC code; http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...002_par019.htm

Scroll to the last Table (footnote “e”) and Adjustment Chart here: http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...?bu2=undefined

Floor joists used to require no more than joist height past the wall, check codes to confirm, but never ceiling joists. No one should be walking on them (regularly) to cause deflection cantilever lift to pop fasteners or add pressure on drywall nearby.

If under the IBC, from 3-60 nails are required, footnote “e” again; http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...?bu2=undefined

Gary