Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

notched floor joists

Fixing a damaged subfloor (water damage rotted plywood under carpet) in a poorly thought out addition. They added 6' to a 10' wide room.

Once I removed the floor, I saw that they built the new addition floor with 2 X 10's which they notched 3 1/2" out of either end so they could sit on 2 X 4's as their support.

Since a 2 X 6 is technically OK for a six foot span, I am hesitant to tell them it's not up to code but it is ugly plus it also sits 3/4" higher than the original floor so there's no way to repair it properly without tearing everything out and starting over again. (This new addition subfloor is level with the original hardwood so they had carpeted everything.)

Since they're selling it, my advice was just to put some 3/4" plywood back down and carpet the whole thing and walk away because that's what was there before and it has lasted 10 + years but I hate to leave something that ugly.

I'll go back and take some pictures tomorrow or Friday.

what would some of you smarter guys do?

fred54 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fred54 For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (08-29-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 8

notched floor joists

first off i wouldnt accept 2x6 for joists for anything other than a stair landing.. 2x6's are for studs not floor joists.

once a joist is notched its only a strong as the smallest dimension.. if make a 2" notch in a 2x10 its now only as strong as a 2x8 and so on

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:34 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2

notched floor joists

What the fix is depends ultimately on what the owner wants. I would explain the choices as you see it to them, and let them decide. If they insist on something you're not comfortable doing, walk away.
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:29 AM   #4
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 4

notched floor joists

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred54 View Post
Since they're selling it, my advice was just to put some 3/4" plywood back down and carpet the whole thing and walk away because that's what was there before and it has lasted 10 + years but I hate to leave something that ugly.

what would some of you smarter guys do?
Depends on what you call smart. Your making money re-doing the job correctly would certainly count as 'smart' for your wallet. But, like you said, the job lasted that long built that way.

And if the failure was only due to water damage then what might be ways to help eliminate that from happening again? Perhaps one of those fancier automatic shut-off valves with a leak sensor would be worth considering?
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wkearney99 For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (08-29-2013)
Old 08-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 12

notched floor joists

The ends of the joists can be cut a maximum of one quarter the height ---=2.3" for a 2x10 (IRC R502.8.1). So technically, its not to code. But that does not turn it into a 2 x 6 --- the center of the joist, where all the bending load is, is still just as strong as a 2 x 10.
Attached Thumbnails
notched floor joists-notch.jpg  
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:15 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 12

notched floor joists

if a 2x6 works for the span why not just sister a 2x6 alongside the notched 2x10?

as SPS-1 said most codes require no more than 1/4 the depth of the joist to be notched from the joist, it does not require 1/4 max notching of the "required joists size" so it could be interpreted that the existing notched 2x10 is not code compliant.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:33 PM   #7
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 8

notched floor joists

if the notch is on the bottom side of a 2x10 it reduces the joist to a 2x8 because it will fail under shear strength.. if you do have to notch it where it bears i would be checking with your engineer. if we have to notch a joist like this we reinforce it with pywood gussets that are glued and ring nailed
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:01 AM   #8

notched floor joists

Strictly, notching out a 10" by 2" on the underside at the bearing doesn't weaken the joist - it's still effectively a 10" deep joist so far as the bending stress is concerned, which is highest mid-span.

All it does is increase the shear stress at the support of the beam, and that is hardly ever critical with residential loadings.
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tony.g For This Useful Post:
Pittsville (08-31-2013)
Old 08-31-2013, 01:41 PM   #9

notched floor joists

all good answers everybody thank you. I felt a little guilty telling her it was a code violation as I don't want to seem like I'm "upselling" her. The other problem we have is that they are 3/4" higher than the existing floor so they won't line up which is the main reason I would want to make a change.

fred54 is offline   Reply With Quote