Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #1

Share |

notched floor joist

One part of my house has a small basement (under the kitchen). It has 2x8 floor joists spanning the entire kitchen. One of the joists, for whatever reason, is a 2x6. I brushed it aside until I found a surprise today: the bottom of that joist is notched out.

Here's a crummy sideways cameraphone pic:
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/8...1610123600.jpg

The pipe underneath is 1/2 inch. With measuring, I'd say 1.5 inhes were notched out.

What's worse is that it's close to the midspan, and the fridge sits right on top of this joist (which explains why there's a low spot near the fridge )

What's the best way to repair something like this? Would taking the fridge off of the joist, and perhaps screwing in a steel plate or some sort, be enough to repair this?

Tonglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:02 PM   #2

notched floor joist

crowned joist / uneven floor

Be safe, Gary

Old 01-16-2010, 02:28 PM   #3

notched floor joist

Alright, so basically sister as much as I can...so the new joists will take the floor load, and the transfer it to the old joists at the point where the new joist ends?

That notched joist is 2x6, while the others are 2x8. If I sistered a 2x8 piece in, from wall to wall, the load would be carried by the 2x8, and then transferred to the 2x6 at the sill, correct? This would be acceptable then I presume?

The 2x6 actually sits up on a 2in piece of wood which sits on top of the sill. Amazing. Guess they ran out of 2x8s when they framed the kitchen floor <_<
Old 01-16-2010, 02:59 PM   #4

notched floor joist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregC View Post
Yes, that is it. If you can use a 2x6 or even squeeze in a 2x8 that would be great. Span it all the way if possible if not sandwich the notched one. If the floor is sagging at the notched are, you can even use a 4x4 post and a pump jack, slowly pump up that joist the nail the heck out of the new joist or joists along side it. Once you releave the jack it should stay level again. Hope this helps!
How slowly would I need to pump to avoid cracking the floor above?
Old 01-17-2010, 08:39 PM   #5

notched floor joist

If the floor is wood you can just jack it up.

I'd go upstairs with a 4' level and see if the floor is dipping in the area of the cut joist.

Another option -- if your joists are undersized -- is to put a beam at mid-span. If you are near the notch then you kill two birds with one stone (obviously you'd need a big shim for the one smaller joist.) 2x8's on 16 inch centers can span about 12 feet.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:12 PM   #6

notched floor joist

Tonglbeak if you do go with jacking be sure to watch for ceiling cracks while jacking and also the ceilings and walls above if there is more than one story.
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:26 PM   #7

notched floor joist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregC View Post
Yes, that is it. If you can use a 2x6 or even squeeze in a 2x8 that would be great. Span it all the way if possible if not sandwich the notched one. If the floor is sagging at the notched are, you can even use a 4x4 post and a pump jack, slowly pump up that joist the nail the heck out of the new joist or joists along side it. Once you releave the jack it should stay level again. Hope this helps!
Sounds like a plan the only thing I would change is I would drill through all the joists and thru bolt and nut them in several areas with big washers and a breaker bar. after the jacking up and before the lowering of the jack.
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:04 PM   #8

notched floor joist

Good plan, as in post #2, nailing alone won't do....

Be safe, Gary
Old 02-03-2010, 12:07 PM   #9

notched floor joist

Well, I'm going to admit, I got lazy. I didn't feel like removing the electrical wire from the existing joist (there's also a lightswitch mounted to it, go figure). So I took an old piece of PT that was lying in the attic (it's nice and warped, but it'll work for this). I cut it down to about 1/4 inch longer than the distance from joist to concrete foundation. Hammered it in, even smoked the wood while doing so (a LOT of friction I imagine). Before I did this, I could jump on that joist and the items on top of the fridge would fall. Now, they don't budge. In fact, that joist is now stiffer than the rest of the floor, which is irritating me now lol >_>

Go ahead and say "bad idea blablabla", but for now where money is an issue, it's working just fine.