Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2006, 10:49 PM   #1

Share |

To notch or not to notch.

In building my Costa Rican open air home I want to have a screened in area on the second floor. I was planning on using teak 4 x 4 posts spaced 4' apart, set into the top and bottom plate by 1 ". I was also going to set the bottom window sill 1" into the post, 36" up from the bottom plate. The upper portion screened, the lower will have a board inset. I will also double the top plate as one of these walls will support my rafters. My plan is to join all this with 3" and 3 1/2" screws. I think this will be more asthetically appealling and a stronger structure. My questions are: Does anyone see any flaws in this, and should I use any kind of adisive in these joints. I'm thinking the board insets will keep the wall true when stand them.
tropic home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropic home View Post
In building my Costa Rican open air home I want to have a screened in area on the second floor.
What is this area currently?
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 03:22 PM   #3

It hasn't been built yet. It will be a second floor, 30'x36'. Half 15'x36' will be bathroom and two bedrooms with block walls. The other half 15'x36' will be an open living area that will have these 2/3 screened wall, with one screened double door leading to a balcony. The entire floor (except maybe the bathroom) will be tongue and groove teak. My rafters will be 5" bamboo with a tin roof.
tropic home is offline   Reply With Quote