Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2007, 03:42 PM   #1
They're all fixer-uppers

Share |

Not trying to insult anyone....but....

Ok. I really don't mean to come across as picking on someone or anything, but for someone that has posted an informative video on the internet, isn't this guy pretty bad at finishing drywall?

http://www.homeadditionplus.com/dryw...wall-Video.htm

J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:32 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by J187 View Post
Ok. I really don't mean to come across as picking on someone or anything, but for someone that has posted an informative video on the internet, isn't this guy pretty bad at finishing drywall?

Yes, that guy would be laughed off any professional drywall project site....

For one thing, when we coat a horizontal seam, we pull the knife across horizontally...NOT vertically .... I realize that the argument may be that he is "showing how it can be done" for beginners, but, all his methods show a serious lack of tool handling skill.... (also: we never use mesh with redimz compound, and we never use mesh tape in corners - only paper tape....)
Anyways, you asked....

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 06-27-2007 at 05:10 AM. Reason: spelling
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:54 PM   #3
They're all fixer-uppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
Yes, that guy would be laughed off any professional drywall project site....

For one thing, when we coat a horizontal seam, we pull the knife across horizontally...NOT vertically .... I realize that the argument may be that he is "showing how it can be done" for beginners, but, all his methods show a serious lack of tool handling skill.... (also: we never use mesh with redimz compound, and we never use mesh tape in corners - only paper tape....
Anyways, you asked....

I agree, and although he is catering to beginners, the video should teach profesional technique so that beginners can practice the right way from the start.

The other thing is, because he applys vertically he has to go back and forth across the joint like 5 times. See you next month when the tape coat is finished....
Old 06-26-2007, 07:38 PM   #4

I guess I shouldn't do what this guy did?
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:51 PM   #5

I just want to state for the record that is not me in that clip
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:56 PM   #6

Quote:
....See you next month when the tape coat is finished....
We want videos.....Mr. Expert......
Old 06-26-2007, 09:58 PM   #7
remodeling pro

Quote:

Just because you are able to post something on the internet does not mean you know what you are talking about. It only means you know how to operate your computer. Same thing for cable tv home shows, If I ever saw a pro in real life doing most of the ridiculous things they do, I would probably wet my pants laughing.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:02 AM   #8
They're all fixer-uppers

Quote:
We want videos.....Mr. Expert......

Haha, you'll get none from me. I know my limitations and do not profess to be good enough to teach others. That said, even though I've had somewhat limited drywalling experience it definitely wouldn't take me as long as that guy. Had he just gone horrizontal in the first place, It would have taken him about 45 minutes less time to do each joint. I might have been generous when I said his tape coat will be done next month.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:21 AM   #9

is there a good video, or tutorial out there? I had seen some great discussions about drywall hanging/finishing here, but I think they were imbedded within other topics and hard to search for. My first room is 11.5 x 15, with (uggg) 8'4" cielings
mt232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:43 AM   #10

since we are on the subject(finishing drywall not the video) I saw a show the other night of a guy (supposedly from a drywall company) finishing off the mudded seams of some recently hung drywall but he was not sanding all he was doing was smoothing it with a sponge. saw this from the start so its not like I came in on the end and missed something and when he was done sponging it off and happy with the way it looked and felt he said to just let it dry a bit then primer and paint.Now I normally wipe my mudded areas down with a sponge after I have sanded to get some of the dust off or any lose particles,plus I think it lets me see if oops spot or diverts nave popped up that need fixing before primer but I don't recall ever reading anything on this site or any other about just using a sponge to finish off mudded areas.Is this a common practice or is this another video that should be put in the how not to do it category
Old 06-27-2007, 09:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by clasact View Post
since we are on the subject(finishing drywall not the video) I saw a show the other night of a guy (supposedly from a drywall company) finishing off the mudded seams of some recently hung drywall but he was not sanding all he was doing was smoothing it with a sponge. saw this from the start so its not like I came in on the end and missed something and when he was done sponging it off and happy with the way it looked and felt he said to just let it dry a bit then primer and paint.Now I normally wipe my mudded areas down with a sponge after I have sanded to get some of the dust off or any lose particles,plus I think it lets me see if oops spot or diverts nave popped up that need fixing before primer but I don't recall ever reading anything on this site or any other about just using a sponge to finish off mudded areas.Is this a common practice or is this another video that should be put in the how not to do it category
Do you mean a "Wet sponge" or a Sanding sponge?

There are several means to finishing drywall for the "sanding phase".

1.) Sanding pole, then go over areas with a sanding sponge.

2.) Electric Rotary sander (with a vac, attachment - for dust), then go over areas with a sanding sponge.

3.) Sanding sponge only (for smaller areas).

4.) Wet(moist) sanding sponge (Not generally used by the pros - does keep dust levels down)
Old 06-27-2007, 10:27 AM   #12

he was using just a plain old dollar sponge dipped in water and it was several areas where they had removed drywall to repair some pretty good water leaks.I have seen all and even used the other methods but never saw or heard of anyone just using a wet sponge to smooth over mudded areas
Old 06-27-2007, 02:35 PM   #13

I've seen it and done it, you need a light touch because you can leave grooves, I don't think the end result is ever very good, it just causes less dust.......I guess its nice for an out of the way patch, no dust in a finished room.
mt232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:41 PM   #14
They're all fixer-uppers

Quote:

2.) Electric Rotary sander (with a vac, attachment - for dust), then go over areas with a sanding sponge.

The porter cable drywall sander w/ the dust vac and the rotory head is phenomonal. Renting it gets a little $$ because of the three days or so, maybe if you go ballstothewall w/ durabond and get it done it two days its cheap enough. Still, if you need to control dust, its worth the money.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:00 PM   #15
remodeling pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by clasact View Post
It is not that common because most guys, even those considered good, are not that good at floating, but I have run across a few (actually two) that were good enough to not have to sand their taped joints, they would just sponge to ease any minor problems in their edge and move on. It was incredable to watch someone with this much talent float.

troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote