Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #1

Share |

Not sure where to start with covering patio

I've wanted to pour a concrete patio with a cover attached to the house for a while. The roof right now is 42x24 with a single peak/no valleys. The plan is to add a 20x16ft roof with perpendicular peak over the patio supported by 4x4 (or whatever I'll need) posts.

First question -
Do I want the peak of the addition to be at the same height as the original peak (thus using a different pitch) or do I use the same pitch and end where ever that takes me?

Second question -
The edge of where the addition will be has the mast for our power/weather head sticking out of it. I can make sure I work it out so there's a seam between 2 pieces of sheathing there and cut half a hole in each for it, but is there anything I need to be aware of? Any minimum height or anything?

qoncept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by qoncept View Post
supported by 4x4 (or whatever I'll need) posts.
Wouldn't use 4x4 on that scale; 6x6 far better.

From the aesthetic point of view, it's always best to have the roof pitches the same, even if the new ridge finishes lower than the existing; it would look naff otherwise.

(don't know about point 2, though).

tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. I was getting my price list put together assuming the same 4/12 pitch of my roof and I think you're right. Any idea off hand how many posts I'll need to support a 20' long roof? I need to get to the library and get a code book.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by qoncept View Post
. Any idea off hand how many posts I'll need .
qoncept; as part of my job, I design playground shelters for schools. These are simple timber structures, with 6x6 posts set in concrete, supporting a timber framework of bearers and rafters, finished with polycarb. sheet.

If I knew your structural layout and materials etc, I would gladly give my two-pennorth- worth from my own experience.

But- and its a big BUT- last time I did this recently I got plenty of stick (possibly deserved) off members partly because I didn't appreciate the significance of the regulatory system and the Codes. I'll keep my head below the parapet this time, other than to say "use your local Code as a guide"!

The best I can say is don't use 4x4, they're far too flimsy; and it definitely would look more attractive with the roof pitches the same.
I'll watch what other posters come up with -and good luck with your project.
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #5

Ok guys, I'm teetering back and forth on different options right now. I've ordered my roofing materials and trusses, but I think I might have screwed up on the trusses:

I bought these trusses, 20' 4/12 to match the pitch of my roof. The description says 2' overhangs and last night I got to thinking -- is the truss 20 feet total, or does it cover a 20' span PLUS 2 foot overhangs?