DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Building & Construction (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/)
-   -   Not really a handy person, but my motivation will make up for it! Some tips? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/not-really-handy-person-but-my-motivation-will-make-up-some-tips-54470/)

silvergs 10-05-2009 11:57 AM

Not really a handy person, but my motivation will make up for it! Some tips?
 
I'm not really a handy person - just haven't had the chance yet. :)

However I am very very motivated and would love to know if there are some tips you veterans can share.

I want to finish the basement in my home. That is a loaded statement no doubt.

My home is 5 years old and has a standard 8 foot high basement - most of it underground. Just the top 3 feet or so are above ground. It has 3 small windows at the top part of the basement.

Size is approximately 1400 sq. feet.

I will upload a plan of the area later this week.

Any recommendations on an excellent book to get me started or online resources to help me with the various aspects of it?

I will contract out the wiring and plumbing to a professional, however I want to most of everything else - the floor, ceiling and walls specifically and generally ofcourse.

TIA

Regards,
Hameed

MinConst 10-05-2009 04:05 PM

Hameed,
Sounds like your first project.
You couldn't have picked a harder one to start with but I commend you for your courage. I have some information on basement finishing that you might get some ideas on look at my sight in the sig and good luck.

stadry 10-05-2009 04:46 PM

whether or not you like apronr stores, they do have decent libraries :) motivation's great but easily trump'd by skill, knowledge, & experience.

Gary in WA 10-05-2009 07:23 PM

Ready, get set, read: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...hterm=basement

Enjoy, and we will hear from you soon.... http://books.google.com/books?ei=8h0...G=Search+Books AND......... Welcome to the forum!
Be safe, Gary

Scuba_Dave 10-05-2009 10:04 PM

Read, research & ask questions
Come up with a plan then post it & ask for constructive criticism
My basement will actually be my last project (I think)
I "just" want to insulate it & build a big closet to replace a big ugly shelving area

hayewe farm 10-05-2009 11:28 PM

First check with your local building department. Finishing a basement as a living space may require installation of an egress window or two. Not required in all jurisdictions but it is in many.

silvergs 10-06-2009 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinConst (Post 336722)
Hameed,
Sounds like your first project.
You couldn't have picked a harder one to start with but I commend you for your courage. I have some information on basement finishing that you might get some ideas on look at my sight in the sig and good luck.

Thanks! I will definitely check out your website.

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsreallyconc (Post 336735)
whether or not you like apronr stores, they do have decent libraries :) motivation's great but easily trump'd by skill, knowledge, & experience.

Your point being what exactly? What you just said does absolutely nothing to help me.

I hate to point out the obvious but absolutely nothing you said was helpful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBR in WA (Post 336800)

Thanks! Very useful links - I have started reading. It's also very exciting!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave (Post 336864)
Read, research & ask questions
Come up with a plan then post it & ask for constructive criticism
My basement will actually be my last project (I think)
I "just" want to insulate it & build a big closet to replace a big ugly shelving area

Good luck with your project!
Quote:

Originally Posted by hayewe farm (Post 336887)
First check with your local building department. Finishing a basement as a living space may require installation of an egress window or two. Not required in all jurisdictions but it is in many.

It has 3 windows as noted in my original post. Thanks anyway.

jbfan 10-06-2009 11:26 AM

You said small windows.
Egress windows have to be large enough for someone to get out in case of fire.
Besides the books listed, also get a copy of local code requirements.

Scuba_Dave 10-06-2009 11:36 AM

The window issue is brought up specifically in case you will have a bedroom down there
In the US a larger window is required by code for a basement bedroom
I always thought the size required (even in the upper floors) was WAY more then needed
Then a firefighter pointed out the larger size is required so a firefighter in full gear can GET IN & rescue people

In any event local codes can vary & once you have a specifc plan run it by your building Dept for approval

IRC was pointing out that the Big Box stores have a lot of books that you can buy
I bought a simple wiring & framing book when I started years ago
Some of these books Do have errors in them

One of Basement projects biggest challenges is making sure that Mold will not grow

Gary in WA 10-06-2009 02:41 PM

Silvergs,

Here is the 2003 Code check for Canada, download it free and save:http://rapidlibrary.com/index.php?q=...code+of+canada

And this covers the updated code changes for 2006 in Canada: http://www.hpo.bc.ca/PDF/BuilderInsight/BI2.pdf

And the actual window sizes (not 20"x24") and 44" above finished floor: http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...s-windows.aspx The first reference covers all the window combinations (29) on page 19.
Be safe, Gary

silvergs 10-06-2009 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbfan (Post 337069)
You said small windows.
Egress windows have to be large enough for someone to get out in case of fire.
Besides the books listed, also get a copy of local code requirements.

Thanks! We upgraded the windows from the standard size to double the height.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave (Post 337077)
The window issue is brought up specifically in case you will have a bedroom down there
In the US a larger window is required by code for a basement bedroom
I always thought the size required (even in the upper floors) was WAY more then needed
Then a firefighter pointed out the larger size is required so a firefighter in full gear can GET IN & rescue people

In any event local codes can vary & once you have a specifc plan run it by your building Dept for approval

IRC was pointing out that the Big Box stores have a lot of books that you can buy
I bought a simple wiring & framing book when I started years ago
Some of theses books Do have errors in them

One of Basement projects biggest challenges is making sure that Mold will not grow

Thanks for the clarification Scuba_Dave! The problem with the books so far is that I have not come across reviews that overwhelmingly favor one over the other. I guess what that means is that I need to buy/borrow a couple of them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBR in WA (Post 337151)
Silvergs,

Here is the 2003 Code check for Canada, download it free and save:http://rapidlibrary.com/index.php?q=...code+of+canada

And this covers the updated code changes for 2006 in Canada: http://www.hpo.bc.ca/PDF/BuilderInsight/BI2.pdf

And the actual window sizes (not 20"x24") and 44" above finished floor: http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...s-windows.aspx The first reference covers all the window combinations (29) on page 19.
Be safe, Gary

Thanks for the links Gary! Very much appreciated!

J S Machine 10-06-2009 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave (Post 337077)
Then a firefighter pointed out the larger size is required so a firefighter in full gear can GET IN & rescue people

This is true. Nothing fun about having to take a full airpack off and push it in front of you through a confined space, especially in fire/smoke conditions.

silvergs 10-16-2009 07:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the plan I drew up in Visio - it is to scale.

Any suggestions for a better layout? The two rooms that are directly in front of the stairs are not really rooms, but I drew in those walls to enclose the HVAC and the other is for a future washroom.

silvergs 10-16-2009 08:10 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Here are pictures I took of the basement.

I also bought the Roger German book - Remodelling a basement.

silvergs 10-16-2009 08:11 PM

6 Attachment(s)
More pictures of the basement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved