Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2010, 09:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Is it normal to find 'strange' things when removing drywall?

Hi,

I have a 2 story brick home from 1984 in a suburban neighbourhood (coockie cutter home).

The layout is of a type where there is a left side, center, and right side to the house.

The left side is kitchen, the center is forier and bathroom, the right side is dining and living room.

In the basement, there are 2 large steel beams that run accross the front and back of the house. Those beams symbolize where the left, center, and right of the house are. Does that make sense?

Now here's the thing. I pulled out some drywall in the kitchen of both a load bearing and NON load bearing wall. Here is the thing though.

The NON load bearing is actually a more heavy duty wall than the real load bearing wall. It uses 2x6's and has double.. umm.. what is the saying.. it has two horizantal 2x6's on top of each other at the top of the wall. Nothing is resting on it.

The real load bearing wall has double 2x4's with joists resting on it.

The house is a 2500 sq ft 2 story brick home. I was very suprised to see such a flimsey load bearing wall.

Is it possible that they got the building meterials for the walls mixed up?

mikedavid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedavid00 View Post
Hi,

I have a 2 story brick home from 1984 in a suburban neighbourhood (coockie cutter home).

The layout is of a type where there is a left side, center, and right side to the house.

The left side is kitchen, the center is forier and bathroom, the right side is dining and living room.

In the basement, there are 2 large steel beams that run accross the front and back of the house. Those beams symbolize where the left, center, and right of the house are. Does that make sense?

Now here's the thing. I pulled out some drywall in the kitchen of both a load bearing and NON load bearing wall. Here is the thing though.

The NON load bearing is actually a more heavy duty wall than the real load bearing wall. It uses 2x6's and has double.. umm.. what is the saying.. it has two horizantal 2x6's on top of each other at the top of the wall. Nothing is resting on it.

The real load bearing wall has double 2x4's with joists resting on it.

The house is a 2500 sq ft 2 story brick home. I was very suprised to see such a flimsey load bearing wall.

Is it possible that they got the building meterials for the walls mixed up?
Most modern houses use 2x4s for a load bearing wall...

Tonglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Where are you located ?

Does the 2x6 wall have plumbing in it ?
Most walls are 2x4
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:55 PM   #4

I'm located in suburb of Toronto Canada.

The non load bearing wall has no plumbing running through it. The joists on that wall are 2x6 and the wall is pretty heavy duty. The actual load bearing wall is 2x4.

Why would this wall be 2x6 when I can visibly see it is not bearing any weight? Even the top of it has double 2x6's. Isn't that overkill if it's not load bearing?

We're afraid to remove it now and are questioning if there was some big reason for this wall. I wish I could shoot a video to show you. I actually have a few questions. Maybe I can pull out the camcorder and upload something to Youtube.. can I do that?

Last edited by mikedavid00; 03-16-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:17 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

You can. But to reiterate, most load bearing walls are 2x4 unless there's some special need (such as insulation, etc).

And with that said, I have to wonder if that wall may've been erected at one point, to try to create a home theater system. Perhaps that called from the extra wood, so more soundproofing could be done?

Purely speculation at that point though.
Tonglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:42 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

my guess is it was put in later.
do your neibors have the same wall?
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,200

The only reason they switched from 2x4 to 2x6 exterior walls was to add more insulation and nothing to do with load.

I agree with the last post and it was probaly added later and whoever did it just happened to have a pile of 2x6 sitting out back.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,166

as we often said/say, ' what difference does it make ? those guys got paid & they're GONE ! ! ! ',,,for that matter, didj'ever see 2 carpenters agree on ANYTHING ?'
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:58 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000

maybe it was going to be a plumbing wall and stuff routed differently. does it back up to baths or kitchen?
Old 03-17-2010, 10:44 PM   #10

Nope doesn't back to anything. I need to shoot a video to show you. I'll upload it tommorow. I dont feel the wall could have been put up by someone else, although that is a good explanation.

It has a double beam on the top like a load berring wall and is heavy duty feeling with 2x6's.. yet nothing sitting ontop of it.. really strange.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #11
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,008

"Is it normal to find "strange" things when removing drywall?"
IF you own a home that was built by the crew I worked with back in the late '60's--early '70's---YES!
Where do you think we put all of our left over lunch, pop bottle, etc.? David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:22 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
"Is it normal to find "strange" things when removing drywall?"
IF you own a home that was built by the crew I worked with back in the late '60's--early '70's---YES!
Where do you think we put all of our left over lunch, pop bottle, etc.? David
My house was build in the '90's, and I can't believe the amount of "crap" that I discovered when I vacumed out my duct work. It basically started with vacuming out food crumbs from the vent located by the kitchen table. No only was I pulling out the food crubs, but I soon found I was also vacuming out all sorts of "trash" created from the sheet rocking process, and more than just a few soda pop cans.

A co-worker found a 5 gallon bucket litterally with crap in it in the attic of his new house.

I understand the idea that a trash can might not be handy on a work site, but my goodness, how about dumping that stuff out the window rather than throwing it down my vents .
HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:13 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,000

When I built my cottage/retirement home, I used 2X6's for the bathroom walls! This was for two reasons! It allowed space for the vent stack and I insulated all the bathroom walls to reduce noise transmission to adjacent rooms!

When building a wall, 92" studs are used to form an 8' wall. The bottom plate (1 1/2") and two at the top (3") make up the difference.

Last edited by Wildie; 03-18-2010 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Grammar
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:22 PM   #14
Learning by Doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
My house was build in the '90's, and I can't believe the amount of "crap" that I discovered when I vacumed out my duct work. It basically started with vacuming out food crumbs from the vent located by the kitchen table. No only was I pulling out the food crubs, but I soon found I was also vacuming out all sorts of "trash" created from the sheet rocking process, and more than just a few soda pop cans.

A co-worker found a 5 gallon bucket litterally with crap in it in the attic of his new house.

I understand the idea that a trash can might not be handy on a work site, but my goodness, how about dumping that stuff out the window rather than throwing it down my vents .
My sister and her husband found zip-loc bags of urine (that's right MULTIPLE BAGS) behind the drywall in their remodeled attic space. The general contractor came in and cleaned things up, kissed a bunch of ass, and returned part of their payment.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:29 PM   #15

Yeah...I don't find a 2x6 wall "strange"...2x8 or 2x10 yeah

Urine ...dead mice skeleton at my last house
Beer cans & roofing tools at this house...but I didn't find that strange

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote