Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2014, 04:09 PM   #1

Share |

Noobie question about carport conversion beam sag

I recently had a center post removed from my carport beam and the beam replaced with a 4x12"x 22' beam, there is some concern about sagging it presently has a 1/2" sag it's only been up for 6 weeks. T he carport has 2x12 sealing joist 16" o/c

marvwarren2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #2

Really need that picture.
Biggest concerns are water coming in under the walls and siding rotting out because it's to close to the ground.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:47 PM   #3

You can close it in me and a friend did his. Made it into a bedroom fully functioned. Added a French door to backyard and ceiling fans and lots of other things.. Could use a picture of area for a better remodel suggestion.
Tradermikesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:29 AM   #4

For a ceiling, 1/2" deflection at the middle of a 22' span is not excessive. and is to be expected.
But that is presumably under dead weight alone. With any snow load (?) it will deflect further.
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:29 PM   #5

Snow load (as Tony said) is important, as is species/grade stamp of the beam. They are all rated to carry different loads per type/grade; eg. same size span solid wood beam will carry from maximum rating (per sag) of 900# to 2000# and numbers in between those figures---- need more info...

Gary
PS. Welcome to the forums!
Old 02-09-2014, 04:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradermikesz View Post
You can close it in me and a friend did his. Made it into a bedroom fully functioned. Added a French door to backyard and ceiling fans and lots of other things.. Could use a picture of area for a better remodel suggestion.
Did you have permits and inspections for the job? Almost no carports I've ever seen can be legally turned into living space since they lack proper footers. Not saying his didn't; just asking.

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote