Non Treated Lumber - Base Plates... - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2010, 09:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Non treated lumber - base plates...

We are finishing our basement and I have completed the framing. However, I have just discovered that code in our area requires "treated" lumber where wood meets concrete. Like I said, I have completely finished the framing. That included around 200 concrete nails! Are they going to expect me to rip all of the framing out?!?!?!!? I don't even know if I could get the concrete nails up without breaking up the concrete. What should my next step be? And yes, I do feel like an idiot!!!!!!

Advertisement

dj1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:28 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Contact your building Dept
Do you have a damp basement ?
Are you insulating the walls ?
Fiberglass can't be up against cement walls either
So if your wall studs are up against the cement you have another problem

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:31 AM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

I have never been able to get by, or seen anyone else skate, on not using pressure treated wood against any concrete surface (wall or floor or ceiling) UNLESS there was a layer of impervious material such as roofing paper between the wood and the concrete... and sometimes that wouldn't even fly.

On the rest of your job....................... COME ASK! There are dozens and dozens of procedures and codes to be followed. Do NOT guess or assume again. Even the wrong kinds or sizes of nails or screws used in certain applications are often code violations.

I've been doing this for fifty years, almost thirty of them as a General Contractor, and there are still hundreds of code requirements I'm not fully aware of. I have to look up the codes on something almost every day. And, "Yes", I too often had to learn the hard way. The worst incident cost me over $5,000 in material, alone... almost double that in labor.

Last edited by Willie T; 06-24-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,472

It’s not as impossible of a task as you my think, not real fun either.

How many feet of wall are we talking about?

What kind of concrete fasteners?

Pictures?
Old 06-24-2010, 05:50 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

We had the same problem. After we were finished the building department told us we should have used treated lumber. They initially said we could come by with putting/sliding roofing felt paper underneath in between the 2x4's and the concrete foundation. Well that didn't work so well and my husband went to the next lumber yard. We were able to get some stuff to treat the 2x4's which we sprayed on. I don't have the name of it right now but our building department accepted this as per code.
SusieQ2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:42 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,080

As mentioned, contact and work with your local B.D. They may accept proof of a vapor barrier under the slab, if poured recently. An inconspicuous hole in the slab..... The IRC is accepted with local changes and additives.....

The why: http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...-building-code

Be safe, Gary

Advertisement