Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2011, 03:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Non invasive moisture meter for dry wall

I have one area, I am little worried about possible water coming in.
I maybe very sensative person, but want to buy moisture meter works for most of areas not just wood.

I have noticed meter with 2 prong and there is one with plain, meaning no need to poke into wall to measure the moisture.

I would like to know if anyone used non invasice meters and would like to hear about the experience.

Amazon is selling some what very inexpensive and Sears around $80.

I do want to buy one and keep for home.

Andee77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:16 PM   #2

The pronged meter is not especially invasive, but I can't speak to your sensitivity on the matter.
Some individuals are sensitive to the slightest prick.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:46 PM   #3
Too Old

http://www.tools-plus.com/lignomat-mini.html

This is one type that I have used for years, when you take a reading you need to be inside the material that is just my experience.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:49 PM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

I've used Tramex and Extech meters both with and without probes. Both make a ton of different models and work well.

Somebody with little or no experience in reading moisture needs to be cautious of what they test and how they test it. Certain types of wall/ceiling construction do not read well. Certain meters are more prone to error than others depending on materials. For example, certain ceramic tiles use metal oxides as color pigments which can provide false high readings. Plaster on expanded metal lath is another example. Some wallcoverings with metallics in the design can do the same.

In any case, meter readings need to be obtained and compared from one place to another and then factored to the relative humidity at a given location in order to have any real meaning. You can't just lay the meter on something and determine that it's wet because the little needle jumped.

I don't have any experience with consumer grade meters, but I imagine you'll get what you pay for.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote