Noisy Neighbors Necessitating Bedroom Soundproofing...HOW?? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2013, 01:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Noisy neighbors necessitating bedroom soundproofing...HOW??

We have noisy neighbors who are keeping us awake at night. Since we're remodeling the master bedroom anyway, we want to suppress sound in its two exterior walls, as well as one interior wall (plus one exterior wall in the adjoining master bath). The bedroom gets cold in the winter and hot in the summer, and I recently updated the attic insulation (which helps a bit with temperature). Our walls are 2"x4", and we have a small, top-of-the-line window in the room (which we know will likely always leak sound to some degree). Thus, we just want to do the best job we can at soundproofing without going overboard.

I've read about the following on this site and am definitely a drywalling, insulation, and soundproofing novice. I'd appreciate anyone's perspective about what might work best...especially for 4" exterior walls.
--quiet rock
--dampening compound
--green glue
--sound sealant
--clips
--blue jeans insulation
--high density fiberglass
--cellulose batts
--roxul
--anything else??

We'd just love to know what strategy or combination is most effective for suppressing the sound of nearby rumbling car motors, etc. I'd like to do what I can, and I'll be hiring a local company to handle the drywall once everything within the wall is complete. Any guidance is sure appreciated!

Advertisement

johngerritlasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:26 AM   #2

Smile

I know noisy neighbours are so annoying. I recommend you to use carpets, they do a surprisingly good job of absorbing sound in the home and also use heavy curtains. I think this would reduce some of noise. Also request your neighbours to slow down noise.

Advertisement

nisha02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:59 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

search here for noise reduction, sound proofing, etc. there are many threads on this. basically, fill all air gaps, install dense insulation like roxul, two layers of sheetrock or quietrock, heavy drapes, good windows (double or triple pane), bushes between you, etc. call the heat, too.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:09 AM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,642

Start outside....shrubs and/or a solid fence will do wonders.

What kind of noise? Kids? Yelling? If it's after 10pm...there is a certain expectation of quietness.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

I live in a corner ranch home and the car sounds were frustrating and the rooms were too cold/warm depending on the season until I ripped down the the exterior wall's dry wall and stapled in Owens Corning R-13 Kraft 3 1/2 in x 15 in. and redrywalled. I did one room at a time with new paint, carpets, oak baseboard, and new window casings until every room was like new again. The sound and heat/cool issues are much better now.
Larryh86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Larryh86GT For This Useful Post:
johngerritlasko (03-17-2013)
Old 03-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Larry, do you mean to tell me that someone built a home in Buffalo, NY with no insulation it the walls????

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
Roofmaster

Glass seems to really stop sound. I wonder how glass bead poured into the wall would do? You would have to air seal all outlets etc. Frankly, I am very surprised you don't have a block masonry wall between dwelling units. This is usually required for fire code. Masonry really quenches noise.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Larry, do you mean to tell me that someone built a home in Buffalo, NY with no insulation it the walls????
It was built in 1953 and there was not a bit of insulation in the walls. They did put thin, pretty much useless, batts in the attic that was their entire effort to insulate the house. There are a lot of these ranch homes around here and their gas bills are pretty high in the winter.
Larryh86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:33 AM   #9

Thanks for the ideas, thus far, everyone! Here are a few more details to clarify some questions.

We live in a house (not an apartment) in Nebraska, have carpeting and new triple-pane windows, have newly installed landscaping (& can't install a noise-reduction fence or further landscaping in the affected area), and the noise from the neighbors two houses down has included loud car engines and occasional tire screeching at random times throughout the night (even 3-5 a.m.). We have spoken directly with the neighbors, and other neighbors and we have called the police several times. We're being assertive in that way. The engine-revving from a fairly-major street about 1/2-block away also interrupts sleep at times.

Thus, since we're remodeling the bedroom, we're considering re-doing the walls. Currently, we presumably have our two outside walls constructed with masonite (or the like) in good shape on the outside, fiberglass insulation, and drywall. Our house is 37 years old, so I'm guessing the fiberglass has settled in the walls.

Do you believe it'd be worthwhile (expense & effort) to remove the sheetrock and the old insulation, install either fiberglass or noise-suppressing insulation, and then install a double-layer of quietrock? How is the double-layer handled with door trim and window trim?

Iíve read multiple other strings on this website over several hours, and have found little addressing soundproofing of OUTSIDE walls, other than what you all have written here. Iíll look into the ideas suggested, and we so appreciate any insight anyone else can offer for other options we can/should consider.

Again, thanks everyone!!
John
johngerritlasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #10
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

If it is noisy Sex, just make sure that you congratulate them each morning when you see them, make it known that you are really proud of them, by embarrassing them in as many ways as you can. After a while, they will get the message and start holding it down.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #11
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,292

If they are married, they are not doing the dirty.

Staggered walls, Quiet Rock, etc are all good solutions.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #12
Roofmaster

What is "Masonite or the like"? It sounds to me that your house was made by a cardboard box manufacturer trying to break into the housing market.

As to your neighbors two doors down, a couple of RPG's comes to mind. Inexpensive and effective. You can get them from Russia. Roofing cap nails are also effective sprinkled liberally in their driveway. They stand pointy side up most of the time when you broadcast them. A few flat tires ought to get the message across. If not, use suggestion 1. I guess you can tell that I have very little tolerance for A holes.

As to your house, I dont see why you would want to remove the existing drywall. Just cut out a strip along the top, seal all outlet boxes with foam, and pour glass bead insulation into the cells. Reinstall the strip of drywall and add another layer right over the top. Dont forget to transfer the stud locations to the ceiling so you can plumb down for attachment of the new drywall.

Good luck, and good hunting.

The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
johngerritlasko (03-18-2013)
Old 03-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #13
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
If they are married, they are not doing the dirty.
What time of day?
Maybe just not with each other.

In which case Gregzoll's suggestion should work wonderfully.

Last edited by Blondesense; 03-18-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #14
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,292

Didn't think about that but given today's ever shifting morality compass...you are probably right.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #15
Roofmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Didn't think about that but given today's ever shifting morality compass...you are probably right.

Eric, I gotta use that one. "Ever Shifting Morality Compass" You got that as his excuse from Willie Clinton when he was in the oval office with ML right?

Thats Classic.

Advertisement

Tags
bedroom , insulation , proof , sound , soundproofing