Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2010, 09:24 AM   #1

Share |

Noisy Basement Apartment - Ceiling open to subfloor upstairs

My daughter is in a basement apartment. The beams are exposed and the only thing between she and her upstairs landlords is the subfloor. You can hear every step and conversation. The odors from the kitchen upstairs are also very strong. Exposed telephone, cable and conduit lines as well as a 6 inch hole are visable as well. What can we use to help control the noise and smells from above? We thought about insulation but are not sure about what type. Would the styrofoam panels be easier to install?

cagirl4101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
Chicago, IL

First question, is this unit zoned as a rental, and if so does it meet all the zoning, code and life/safety requirements (for example, emergency egress requirements)?

When I find the sorts of conditions you describe at an inspection, the odds are better than even there will be significant number of other sub-standard and often unsafe conditions, and often use of the basement as a rental unit is not allowed in any case.

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:55 AM   #3

Ceiling is required to be covered with drywall per Code. Possibly fire-resistant drywall, to give others living above you more time to flee. Ask your Building Department or Fire Marshal. And other points that Michael said.

Gary