Nobody Seems To Know The Answer To This... - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2010, 03:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Nobody seems to know the answer to this...

I have found that there seems to be and open space been my rock basement and where wall framing is. Like cement frame for all the frame work and then build a rock wall on inside. Hard to explain. I don't understand the reason for it and it looks like it goes all the way around the house. Anybody have any ideas. The pictures i'm including are looking into a crawl space where there used to be steps. You can see the rock wall then behind it i found that air space when i moved some loose rocks.
Attached Thumbnails
Nobody seems to know the answer to this...-air-ch-wall-8.jpg   Nobody seems to know the answer to this...-air-ch-wall-9.jpg   Nobody seems to know the answer to this...-air-channel-wall.jpg   Nobody seems to know the answer to this...-air-ch-wall-3.jpg   Nobody seems to know the answer to this...-air-ch-wall-4.jpg  

Advertisement

willowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

weep drainage system in case water gets inside the footing/basement.
there is likely a 'low point' for loose water to collect and drain outside the foundation.

Advertisement

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:50 PM   #3

I'm not sure I understand. What your looking at is above ground level, if that helps. The problem its causing is cold air gettinging inthe house. I need to insulate or seal it somehow but don't want to cause any type of moisture problem. The wood structure in it seems in great shape for an old house. I think it may have to do with the way its built and don't want to do anything that could interfear with the air system if thats what keeping it good.
Another thing that may not have anything to do with it I have a Water Well in the basement. Its an old farm house. This is a pic where the old water tank and pump is, the well is just below it.
I was thinking maybe the design of house had something to do with well and moisture? Mabey creat the rock wall to keep moisture out of walls??
Attached Thumbnails
Nobody seems to know the answer to this...-img_4475.jpg  
Old 01-22-2010, 05:05 PM   #4

I found some pics looking up from the basement. You can see where the wood, (not sure proper name) for the above floor goes across and through the rock. Also there are two corner shots that show how wide the wall its in stone. Behind that wall is where the frame work is.
Attached Thumbnails
Nobody seems to know the answer to this...-img_4463.jpg   Nobody seems to know the answer to this...-img_4473.jpg   Nobody seems to know the answer to this...-img_4479.jpg  
Old 01-23-2010, 12:09 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,364

Quote:
What your looking at is above ground level, if that helps.
How do you have access to this space? Is there a hole in the basement wall where you can climb up into it?

In the first picture in post #4, you can see where there is a beam laying sideways in the wall with cement covering it. I think that there used to be a huge space in the wall right there, from the bottom of the beam up to the ceiling, where a person could climb from the basement, up into the crawl space. You said the crawl space is on the other side of that wall? It looks like they placed the beam there and built up the wall on top of it with cement.

Was there ever an addition put on the house?

In the first few pics, to me, it looks like there had been a crawl space with a dirt floor. Someone along the way placed the beams across the dirt to use as floor joists and nailed some planks across them.

Quote:
The pictures i'm including are looking into a crawl space where there used to be steps.
Where did the steps lead to? The kitchen or maybe a canning kitchen? If so, maybe this had been a root cellar?

If this were my house, I would get a professional contractor who is an older gentleman and has been in the business most of his life. Maybe he would be able to figure out what's going on down there and has seen things like this over the years.

JMO FWIW

I'll try to take some pictures of my mom's farm house basement tomorrow. It's similar to yours and I think I can explain what I mean about the "huge space in the wall" in picture 1 of post #4.
gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:21 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,486

' those ' guys got pd & they're long gone that's what being older ' has taught me
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:48 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

You say its an old farm house. Depending on age, many houses were build by laying very large/heavy cut stone right on top of the soil. Then the house was built on top of those stones. Later the basement was dug out. The earth was shored up on the inside with stone walls in the dug out basement. That motor and stone wall in the basement is what keeps the soil in place so that those large cut stone remain stationary.

It's just a guess from what I can see in the photo's but the space behind your basement walls looks to be just that.

Many homes built between 1850 and 1920 in and around my area were built that way.

If you can show a photo of the outside foundation it would help.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:24 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

maybe thats how they paneled a basement
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamus View Post
You say its an old farm house. Depending on age, many houses were build by laying very large/heavy cut stone right on top of the soil. Then the house was built on top of those stones. Later the basement was dug out. The earth was shored up on the inside with stone walls in the dug out basement. That motor and stone wall in the basement is what keeps the soil in place so that those large cut stone remain stationary.

It's just a guess from what I can see in the photo's but the space behind your basement walls looks to be just that.

Many homes built between 1850 and 1920 in and around my area were built that way.

If you can show a photo of the outside foundation it would help.
That makes since to me. I never really thought of it that way. I know when I had gone done to the city's the only info they had on it was a sketch form around 1930 showing the house location in relation to some side streets. The steps that used to go to basement looked like and afterthought as the supports where they would have cut out the floor where different thant the original structure. that large wall at the back by the door would maybe have been where they started from the exterior.
I had thought it maybe had something to do with the well in the basement but what your saying seems to sound more likely.
I'll see if I can find one.

Advertisement