Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2011, 05:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

No truck. Best trailer for home DIY?

My hubby and I have two vehicles for work commute and do not intend to purchase a truck. I have a 2005 Honda CR-V. We are doing a house remodeling and I have been able to fit quite a bit in my CR-V. But we can use a vehicle for hauling stuff to the dump or bring home sheetrock, etc.

We are thinking about a trailer hoping that it will be sufficient. I don't know much about trailers and don't know what would be the best option for a remodeling project. I suppose we'll keep the trailer after the remodel just in case we may need to haul yard materials.

I've seen (online) foldable trailers from Harbor Freight for a couple hundred bucks, but I've also seen fully enclosed trailers that run for a few thousands.

For those who have experience with trailers, what type/size of trailer would be an adequate trailer for our use? Any inputs? Thank you in advance!

mudworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudworm View Post
My hubby and I have two vehicles for work commute and do not intend to purchase a truck. I have a 2005 Honda CR-V. We are doing a house remodeling and I have been able to fit quite a bit in my CR-V. But we can use a vehicle for hauling stuff to the dump or bring home sheetrock, etc.

We are thinking about a trailer hoping that it will be sufficient. I don't know much about trailers and don't know what would be the best option for a remodeling project. I suppose we'll keep the trailer after the remodel just in case we may need to haul yard materials.

I've seen (online) foldable trailers from Harbor Freight for a couple hundred bucks, but I've also seen fully enclosed trailers that run for a few thousands.

For those who have experience with trailers, what type/size of trailer would be an adequate trailer for our use? Any inputs? Thank you in advance!
For "a" remodeling project, I'd have it delivered. Make a comprehensive list and let them bring it to you.
Look at the weight limitations of the HF units and figure how much you can carry in good weather.
If the scope of the project is going on for years that's another story, not related here.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:59 PM   #3

> If the scope of the project is going on for years that's another story

Hope not for years, but it will drag on for a while. We are still learning new things all the time, so I know it won't happen that we can just do a couple/few deliveries and be done with things. Plus, we do have a yard to redo after our remodel is complete.

Yeah, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the HF foldable trailers.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:33 PM   #4
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,272

Search “trailers” on Craiglist in the bay area. There’s enough there to make your head spin. Those foldable trailers are junk.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:41 PM   #5

My head was already spinning! That's why I was hoping to learn from some real user experiences.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,186

Can't help you much without knowing what you are planning to do and planning to haul.

Are you hauling paint cans and wallpaper or are you hauling lumber and concrete bags?
Old 06-30-2011, 07:25 PM   #7
Work Hard, Play Harder

Rewards Points: 150

I usually pay the 19.99 at home depot to get the truck for 90 minutes. Then I just buy all my stuff and deliver it home. Can check everything and do another trip if really needed.

Otherwise the places I like to buy lumber from; say Menards, do pretty good deliveries.

A truck would be nice; but what do I do all the days I'm not remodeling?
coderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,132

I have a truck and a 5'X10 trailer, and it worked well for years.
I then bought a 4 wheeler, and looking for another.
My trailer is so small now.

Before you buy a trailer, find out what kind of towing capicity you CRV has.
This will limit the size of the trailer.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:43 PM   #9
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,272

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
I have a truck and a 5'X10 trailer, and it worked well for years.
I then bought a 4 wheeler, and looking for another.
My trailer is so small now.
That must be one big ass 4 wheeler.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:51 PM   #10
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,132

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
That must be one big ass 4 wheeler.
It's the second one that makes the trailer small.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:57 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,000

I have a 5'x8' single axle trailer with a capacility of ~2000 lbs. - large enough and quality/capable to carry a good load from home depot or to the dump, tows well, can tow a distance if need be, easy to handle, and does not take a huge amount of storage space.

The cheap trailers, folding trailers, and such are not worth the money - IMHO. Buy a decent used trailer for $500 to $1000 on craigslist. Use it for your project and sell it for about what you paid - or keep it for general usage as needed (you don't have so much money tied up, so it's easy to keep).

Something like this from Carson, and optionally you can put ~24" plywood sides on it if you want:
http://www.carsontrailer.com/subs/at...y/utility.html
Old 06-30-2011, 08:34 PM   #12
Pretending to be Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I have a 5'x8' single axle trailer with a capacility of ~2000 lbs. - large enough and quality/capable to carry a good load from home depot or to the dump, tows well, can tow a distance if need be, easy to handle, and does not take a huge amount of storage space.

The cheap trailers, folding trailers, and such are not worth the money - IMHO. Buy a decent used trailer for $500 to $1000 on craigslist. Use it for your project and sell it for about what you paid - or keep it for general usage as needed (you don't have so much money tied up, so it's easy to keep).

Something like this from Carson, and optionally you can put ~24" plywood sides on it if you want:
http://www.carsontrailer.com/subs/at...y/utility.html

I agree with all the commenter's here. I used a 5 x 8 single axle trailer for years. It took many trips, but we moved the contents of our house about 40 miles on it. For me, HF trailer or even the Tractor Supply one would be too flimsy for practicable use.
BigD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:26 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 500

I had one of those harbor freight types of folding trailers. They work pretty well, so long as you don't expect to carry a lot of weight. (Having said that, I once carried a small piano on one.) They work even better if you are willing to forget the folding capability and install a single, 4x8 sheet plywood floor. If your need is for carrying sheet goods, lumber, cabinets, and later for a bit of mulch or nursery stock, I suspect this trailer will work for you. If you need to take a bunch of stone, concrete, or heavy construction debris to the dump, you should look at other options.

Your CRV is also pretty limited to how much weight it can tow. I am thinking about 1500lbs. That limit would limit the type of trailer you should use to all but the lightest variety.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:49 AM   #14
DIY Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 25

I have one of those folding Harbor Freight trailers that I use on my wife's '04 CR-V. The Honda's towing capacity is only 1500lb so there is no need to get a more capable trailer unless you plan to use it every week. I've hauled many 2-yard loads of mulch on it as well as sheets of ply, drywall, doors, lumber and firewood. The folding feature is very important to me as I need to keep it in the garage when not in use. I use mine a couple times a year and it's holding up just fine... well worth the money, IMHO.
Ed G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:04 AM   #15
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 518

As a few people have mentioned, the standard/max towing of a CRV is 1,500 pounds. So, if you are going to use the trailer for a few bulky items that would be ok, but you're not going to be able to safely pile on tons of bricks and concrete and pull them home. However, it still may come in handy.

Before I bought my truck in 2010, I considered a Harbor Freight folding trailer to pull behind my wife's Santa Fe (2000 pounds towing). It would be cheaper than a truck, but you can rent the Home Depot or Menards truck a few times for the price of a trailer - and not have to store it. But, the trailer would let you keep the materials on it until needed (like bulk mulch) and not rush to unload the truck and return it to the store.

Last edited by hyunelan2; 07-01-2011 at 07:08 AM.
hyunelan2 is online now   Reply With Quote