Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2010, 02:47 PM   #1

Share |
Question

No Soffits ...

I am preparing to start working on my unfinished basement. The wife wants drywall ceiling so don't try to talk me to tiles (I will lose). The joists are at 10' and the mechanicals still offer 8' ceiling.

My issue is that the ducts run diaginally through the 'room' with smaller ducts spidering out to the upstairs vents. The main floor of the house sustains a 9' ceiling smooth everwhere. Rerouting everything to the sides would be massive undertaking and soffitting around it all would look all messed up. I would like to hang the basement at 8' everywhere so it matches the rest of the house 'look'. Was wondering the pros/cons of leaving some of the area 'hollowed out' up in the ceiling since the places where there are no ducts would be empty space.

I realize that I need to leave access doors in key locations for plumbing/electric connectors/etc. Any ideas?

shynnmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:52 PM   #2

No Soffits ...

Why would you want your basement ceilings higher than 8'?

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #3

No Soffits ...

I don't. Looking at bringing the whole thing DOWN to the 8' mark. This will cause a few places above that mark to be hollowed out above the drywall. Was asking about these places.
shynnmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:29 PM   #4

No Soffits ...

I get it now. A suspended ceiling would solve this problem with hangers, but your wife doesn't want that. So You need a plan to secure the drywall she does want in the areas where the ductwork etc. goes. That can be tricky. Some pictures might help. In closing up your basement ceiling, I hope you are planning to leave some sort of access to the areas that may require attention in the future. Ductwork may need to be accessed for cleaning and of course any junction boxes need to be accessable. It would be a mistake to reroute the ductwork. It is routed the way it is for a reason. In other words, it may not be practical to have the smooth finished ceilings in the basement that the rest of the house has. My wife usually wins too but not when it comes to this sort of thing.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:42 AM   #5

No Soffits ...

yea i would veto wifes concerns :P
federer is offline   Reply With Quote