DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

NO Joists in Attic ?

6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Marvin Gardens 
#1 ·
See attached photos. House I am thinking of buying. Never have seen an attic like this. What appears to be a bare spot in middle of photo is actually the top of the ceiling down below. If you notice to the right is the AC duct that goes into that room below. First can someone tell me what the ceiling is attached to. I do not see any rafters across the "floor" of the attic. I can't even tell how you could walk across it to service the duct work in the distance. Is there a name for this type of roof system ? IS it possible the entire attic floor was covered with underlayment beore the HVAC vents were put in and before insulation ? I am confused. If more info is needed to help please ask.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
what is the ceiling suspended from? Is it Gyp Bd.? Have you been up there?i would say there are joists and then there is insulation and perhaps a vapor barrier which as you said appears to be the ceiling. Look at the framing around the attic hatch or pull down stair. you will see how thick it is between the ceiling and the insulation.

the rest of the photo does not seem as shady as come other attics i've seen with 2x4 rafters spaces 36-48" o.c.

#6 ·
Thanks for insight. I am afraid to walk on it as I do not know what I am walking on. Plus would the insulation have been placed above any flooring put down ? What do you mean by "shady" please ? Not sure what the ceiling is suspended from as I do not see where the ceiling attaches.

Making it more difficult is the entry to this section is through about a 10 foot addition that was put on that is framed "normally" (rafters visible). The addition is where the attic access is found there is a hole cut into the previous end of house that goes into the space where the pictures are taken.

#8 ·
I guarantee that there are ceiling joists under that insulation. They might be under plywood sheets or 1x6s if it was put in when the house was constructed but they are there. The good news is that someone cared enough to put more than 6" of insulation in there.

Don't be afraid to move the insulation around a little to see what's under there. You should be able to find a place where the joists aren't covered.

#11 ·
Very common to fill the attic with insulation that cover the joists. They are there, you just can't see them because of the insulation. Dig down but do not walk in it till you see what is there. More than likely there is no floor and you will end up going through the floor, or ceiling depending on your perspective.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.