Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #1

Share |

No contractor returning my calls

Ive called five contractors to build a foundation for my addition in the last 2 weeks. Only one has responded yet. Why is no one contacting me for work? I thought construction guys were looking for work

redheadedjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by redheadedjoe View Post
Why is no one contacting me for work?
Because contracting isn't running a Chinese restaurant
"one from column A and two from column B"

they don't want (or need) to be brought in only for some parts of the job

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #3

If all you need is a foundation built then start calling some masons, not contractors. Most contractors would just sub it out to a mason they work with.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #4
JOATMON

Contact you local concrete house...you know, the place that has the cement trucks.......

They guys there should be able to give you some references....

It helps to have your location in your profile....if you were local to me, I could give you the name of a few people...

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #5

I live in the st Louis mo area. We just bought our house & there was an addition added 10 years ago & it has settled a large amount. We had 2 engineers out to give us a plan. Our steel beam has twisted & the piers are slanted. Thanks for the ideas
Old 07-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #6

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Since you are now talking about an existing concrete addition that has settled (failed) and has twisted steel beams. You also have 2 correctional designs for to the contractor to select from, you need a builder of some sort.

It sounds like the proverbial "can of worms" and may be difficult to get a firm answer or price since it is an existing problem.

Dick

Last edited by concretemasonry; 07-02-2012 at 08:34 PM.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #7

I understand your frustration. I've contracted out a retaining wall, footings for an old garage & windows/vinyl siding this year. Finding someone interested in repairing an old garage was next to impossible. Never did get someone to come out for an estimate just for that. Luckily my retaining wall guy was willing to look at it since he was a concrete guy, and we were able to add the footings for the garage in addition to the retaining wall build...I got lucky to find him, his crew did a great job. I would not have thought to call a retaining wall person for foundation work originally.

I'd say less than 50% of the contractors I called this summer even returned my call. Two came out to give me an estimate then I never heard from them again. Just keep calling.
Pianolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
...there was an addition added 10 years ago & it has settled a large amount. We had 2 engineers out to give us a plan. Our steel beam has twisted & the piers are slanted.
Did either of those plans describe removing the 10yo failure and starting over?
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I was always looking for work and I would have had the courtesy to call you back but more than likely would have had to tell you I was booked for the immediate future and with crews and subs working to do stuff that needed doing in summer good weather months. Most of my summer work was lined up earlier in the year or sometimes even the summer before.

As mentioned, contact some specific sub-contractors that are of course licensed and insured. I would gladly have provided you with the names of some but those that worked for me would probably have been busy. They might have worked in your project though.

You mentioned you had a couple engineers help you with this and that works in your favor since one assumes you have coherent plans. Can't they recommend some contractors for you or is that where your leads came from?

Sorry for your frustration. I tried to work in little projects but by the time I dealt with permits, inspections, and so forth they often took a fair amount of time with costs I could not always recover in terms of neglecting larger projects in progress.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #10
Renovations contractor

Quote:
Ive called five contractors to build a foundation for my addition in the last 2 weeks. Only one has responded yet. Why is no one contacting me for work? I thought construction guys were looking for work
What are you saying when you leave a message for them? If your wording hints that you are price shopping or calling everyone in the phone book or such things, then many will probably not think it is worth responding. Not saying that is what you intended, but a possibility that is how it has been interpreted. Also if you are expecting a fixed price for such a job then that will raise a few alarm bells for experienced contractors as they will know that there is going to be a lot of unforeseen issues to deal with. Call someone else and don't say too much ... just that you have a demo & rebuild project including foundation work, is this the sort of thing they do. See what the response is then.
Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonzai For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-02-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #11
Mod

As Iím reading this thread all I can think about is the economy must be looking better in St. Louis.

Sorry.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #12

Took me nine months to get a return call from a drywall guy.

And when one finally did call, the quote was ridiculous....

I would rather not, but I'm doing it myself....
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:42 AM   #13
Construction contractor

why don't you post your requirements with the online remodeling portals. Its all about free and you can find more contractors over there. May be your visit find great value in this site http://www.hirecontractor.com one of the home contractors portal.
scottbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #14

@TarheepTerp: no we really can't afford to tear the addition off and start from scratch. We've set aside 20K to fix the erosion & foundation. The erosion we are taking care of ourselves.

To all, thank you for the ideas. The engineers said they were unable to refer anyone. During my phonecalls I only stated I am looking for a contractor to install a new foundation under our addition. And to please call me back. I'm glad these guys are busy right now, but to just ignore me isn't giving them work in the fall. If they got their bid in now, started getting permits together, they'd be ready by early fall. Which is a good time frame because we will have out retaining wall & spouts directed farther from the home to alleviate the erosion issue.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #15
DIY staff

Head on down to the local ready mix plant--late morning or early afternoon--they are least busy at those times---

Ask for the names of a couple of contractors that could do what you need---

Seeing people face to face helps---many concrete companies specialize in different work--new construction--driveways--flat work--

So you need to narrow down the field--and the concrete plant knows them all---Mike----