No Contact From Contractor, Advice? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2005, 03:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

no contact from contractor, advice?

hello. new to forum. i need some advice on what to do with a contractor ive been dealing with. on june 6th, we agreed on bid for him to build our new house and we signed the price agreement with specs.. the house is a two-story, 1967 sq. ft. his bid was $158,900. subtracting the work i plan on doing to the house we should be around $148,900. he turned in the plans to the bank and the appraisal was done. the bank wants a statement from him subtracting the sweat equity from the house. its been 6 weeks. between the bank and i, at least 8-12 messages have been left on his voice mail and on his business and cell phone and no contact from him what so ever. we should be around $75-$80 a square foot, which is lower than our area average of $90-$100/ sq ft. i have checked with one other contractor who couldnt believe the bid the original contractor gave us. i suppose i need some adivice on what i should do from here. we havent signed a contract to build and no money has been exchanged. but im tired of leaving messages and am concerned i may not be able to find another bid the same price. any info would help. thanks.

Advertisement

THEBIGPUNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 08:37 PM   #2

The Big Punn.

I dont know where you are, but a house almost 2000 sq.ft for $158,000 seems awful low. This guy could be a cowboy and if he is taking so long to get things going, beware! Take your time in getting this going. Have an another shop around. Good luck!

Advertisement

'Andyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 09:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

I think your guy figured out he can't do it for the price he quoted. Nice of him to part ways now before it got too messy. HS
K2eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 10:47 PM   #4
Paperhanger/painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerslammer
I think your guy figured out he can't do it for the price he quoted. Nice of him to part ways now before it got too messy. HS
I agree. Move on and find another contractor.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:10 PM   #5
Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Walking time for sure.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 06:46 AM   #6

thanks to those who replied. i have found a new contractor and took on some additional sweat equity to get me the price I need. should be breaking ground in about 2 weeks. my new contractor agreed the old contactor bid too low and is using some lower quality material and doesnt have the heart explain himself.

Last edited by THEBIGPUNN; 09-13-2005 at 06:48 AM.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:29 PM   #7

wow! guess what? the old builder called today! he gave a story about taking some time off and being really busy and how he has all my permits filled out and wants to start next week, it has been since june 6th that i was last contacted from him. ive left over 8 messages total. in the mean time my new builder fearing a lumber price increase called me today and had my lumber set off to the side by his supplier with his current prices garunteed. he will have plans and the contract done this week. ive been calling friends and family on a consensus. with the old builder i will have less work to do myself than with the new builder. however, the old builders quality and customer services is questionable. so far the new builder is the one i should go with. any replies?
Old 09-14-2005, 07:28 AM   #8
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,318

Keep the new contractor. Even if the old one had called you back, you think the quality is not there. That should be enough to change!
Old 09-14-2005, 08:32 AM   #9

I would go with the "new" builder and not look back! If it takes the "old" builder over 2 months to have the courtesy to contact you, that would be the BIG red flag for me!! Let's see.. you're in you're new home with a punch lists for the "old" builder to take care of and he has all you're $$$$...don't wait by the phone!!!
plumguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 11:41 PM   #10
Contractor

Rewards Points: 150

Definately go with the new contractor. The old one probably just had other plans fall through and had some spare time, so he decided to call you.

Advertisement

Ken Walker
KenTheHandyMan is offline   Reply With Quote