Newly Framed Walls Getting Wet - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
an aspiring guru

Rewards Points: 10

newly framed walls getting wet

I have a problem with my carport project. I am enclosing my carport to be a dining room. It has a full existing roof and framed out ceiling with painted plywood. I framed out and sheathed the walls, using housewrap too, last july. I didn't get any farther with it until this last weekend, when I noticed the lower part of the east wall is wet.

The carport has an existing concrete floor and when getting the permits I dug down next to the slab to check that it has a footing, it does. Checked all the housewrap, no visible leaks. It seems as though maybe the concrete is sweating and the water is soaking up the wall. Not sure how this can be seeing that the slab has a footing below it. This wall is also the only one that has above ground exposed foundation (about 2 feet).

Not sure what to do from here. I can't sheetrock the inside knowing the wall is getting wet. Could it possibly be the cold temps (In Missouri) causing this moisture? Didn't have this problem until late November.

Thanks for any help. Pics below.
Mradam

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...2_863416_n.jpg
The following is the pic of the east wall, where the moisture is.
http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs034...._3966586_n.jpg
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...45_49619_n.jpg

Advertisement

mradam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Here you need min 6" clearance between wood & the ground
So the side walls would not meet code
Is the bottom 2x PT wood ?
Did you use sill plate foam ?

Do you have a picture inside where the moistuire is ?

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
an aspiring guru

Code here is to use pt sill plate only when it is at grade, so no it is not pt on the east side. Every other side, yes. And I haven't heard of sill plate foam, so unfortunately I didn't use it. It is wood on concrete, and would be a decent project to replace it all. Also, I just passed the rough wall inspection and asked the inspector about it. He said double up the house wrap and it'll dry out. Somehow, I don't believe him.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:00 PM   #4

When you framed it out, did you put the framing at the edge of the slab so when you put the sheathing on it would drop below the slab, sealing the concrete/framing interface?
Or does the sheathing end at the slab edge? If this is what you did, water can easily get between the sole plate and the slab.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
an aspiring guru

The sheathing does come below the bottom of sill plate, and the housewrap goes down below that.

The strange part is that I notice moisture even when it hasn't rained in days, and when it does rain there is no pooling of water. In fact, the moisture doesn't seem to increase after a rain at all.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mradam View Post
The sheathing does come below the bottom of sill plate, and the housewrap goes down below that.

The strange part is that I notice moisture even when it hasn't rained in days, and when it does rain there is no pooling of water. In fact, the moisture doesn't seem to increase after a rain at all.
If it's cold outside and warm inside you might just have condensation where the two temperatures meet. The sill seal Dave mentioned would be used to fill in the gaps of the uneven interface of concrete and wood. You might trying to seal the exterior against air infiltration. I wouldn't seal the interior as it might trap moisture under the wood.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:37 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

if you have untreated plate against concrete it will rot. tape a 2'x2' piece of plastic to the slab near the untreated plate and see if you get condensation
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:58 PM   #8
an aspiring guru

I taped the plastic down and will check it in the morning. Why will the plate rot if untreated? Does concrete really wick that much water? Also, if it does, what's going to keep the studs from absorbing water and rotting too? PT wood surely absorbs SOME water.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:59 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
I taped the plastic down and will check it in the morning. Why will the plate rot if untreated? Does concrete really wick that much water? Also, if it does, what's going to keep the studs from absorbing water and rotting too? PT wood surely absorbs SOME water.
Yes, it will eventually rot unless the concrete is VERY dry. That is why folks are suggesting pt with a closed cell foam break between the concrete and wood. Concrete is like a big, porus sponge....water vapor passes readily through it. Closed cell foam "sill seal" eliminates the problem.
Oxymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:09 PM   #10
an aspiring guru

so, u think maybe that's where my moisture is coming from? Up the concrete and into the wood? I'd hate to have to rebuild that wall, but I also don't want it to rot.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:32 PM   #11

Quote:
so, u think maybe that's where my moisture is coming from? Up the concrete and into the wood? I'd hate to have to rebuild that wall, but I also don't want it to rot.
Tough telling from here....do you have a pic of the moisture itself?
Oxymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:13 PM   #12

You're getting moisture on the inside plywood walls? If so, probably it's because of condensation as Ron6519 said. What you need is to air seal the wall and provide enough insulation to maintain the outside temperature of the wall to below the dewpoint. Warm air meeting a colder surface causes condensation, such as mirrors in bathrooms after the shower is used.
DoItMyselfToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:59 AM   #13
an aspiring guru

I had thought perhaps condensation was the issue, but I am leary of insulating the walls only to find that the moisture is coming from elsewhere and I just hid the problem with insulation. Not sure what to do now...
Old 01-05-2010, 05:19 AM   #14
an aspiring guru

DoItMyselfToo, yes it is on the inside of walls. Mostly at the bottom of walls.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:04 AM   #15
the Musigician

code around HERE says you need to use PT made for GROUND CONTACT for anything 6" above grade or lower.
there IS a difference.....

DM

Advertisement