DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

newbie tile questions

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Bud Cline 
#1 ·
tried laying some tile on shower walls yesterday.

Do I need to scrape out all thinset between tiles while still wet?

Tub walls are narrower on bottom than top. bottom last tile is enough to get to outside wall,,,up 4 rows need 1/2 to inch extra tile,,,can you cut and lay one that thin and it stays put???

are you supposed to place spacers on the bumps or beside bumps?? (using 4 1/4 " square white ceramic tile)

When I get to window above do I use a bullnose on both edges of corners for 90 degree outside corner?

thanks,,,looks so simple on tv,,,layed about 70 tile and feel all drug out hung over today.

#2 ·
Do I need to scrape out all thinset between tiles while still wet?
Of course you do.

Tub walls are narrower on bottom than top. bottom last tile is enough to get to outside wall,,,up 4 rows need 1/2 to inch extra tile,,,can you cut and lay one that thin and it stays put???
Planning is everything.
Try it and see.

are you supposed to place spacers on the bumps or beside bumps?? (using 4 1/4 " square white ceramic tile)
Those tiles don't require spacers...that's what the "bumps" are for, the bumps are the spacers.

When I get to window above do I use a bullnose on both edges of corners for 90 degree outside corner?
OH GOD!!! There's a window?
Yup bullnose tiles make outside corners.:)

thanks,,,looks so simple on tv,,,layed about 70 tile and feel all drug out hung over today.
You will never find one of those TV shows that will tell you of any negatives. They all have products to sell to you. Next time don't be so quick to believe all of their crap.:)

#3 ·
You want to lay out the tile so there are no slivers. You can do this by laying the tile out on the floor. Shift the center line based on the wall measurements so you avoid slivers. The tiles on each end of the back wall should be equal.It's the same process with the height, especially if you're tiling the entire wall.
It's a standard practice to have cuts on all 4 edges, as the walls and ceilings are rarely plumb and level..

#6 ·
yes there are things I learned and WILL do different next time. The slivers were a given since I needed to center tile because of window. Even with pushing it all one way would still leave inch piece on other end

next time walls will be shimmed straighter more level and plumb. and the spacers will get lost

thanks for the replys,,,off to find my tater smashed to mix with!!

#8 ·
yes there are things I learned and WILL do different next time. The slivers were a given since I needed to center tile because of window. Even with pushing it all one way would still leave inch piece on other end

next time walls will be shimmed straighter more level and plumb. and the spacers will get lost

thanks for the replys,,,off to find my tater smashed to mix with!!

1st Rule of Home Improvement.....walls are never straight.....

I'm in the middle of a 2-story addition to my house.....I'm about half way through the 1st story framing....I spent about 3 hours last night squaring and plumbing the walls....I have a good bubble level....but you can't beat the old plub bob for knowing just how straight and level a wall really is.

#7 ·
The slivers were a given since I needed to center tile because of window.
Slivers are never a given - that's just nonsense!:yes:

You can start at a centerline with a grout joint or you can start at a centerline with the center of a tile thereby moving the grout joint over 1/2 tile. Slivers are never "a given". Slivers are a lack of planning.:)

#9 ·
Planning and layout is everything. If you don't take the time to plan you just as well forget doing the project.

Three years ago I did floor tile throughout a large home. It took me and a helper two full days to plan the layout and get it marked on the floor. Hours spent planning is not unusual. Even something as seemingly simple as a tub surround or shower can take hours to layout.

Good planning is the foundation of any project.:yes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.