Newbie With Some Questions About Windows - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2010, 12:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Newbie with some questions about windows

To anyone who can help....

Here is my question. We have our new construction windows in our garage waiting to be installed. Our installer comes to verify we have everything. I am not home when he comes. He looks at my wife and says "where is the brick molding?". My wife calls me and asks "where is the brick molding?" I am confused at this point because when the windows show up, I look at them and think to myself "cool, the molding is already attached." When our installer asks this, I start second guessing myself. I go to where we purchased the windows and ask what the brick molding looks like and they show me. Turns out, the molding is already attached. The first question I have is, would anyone else be a little nervous if your installer can't see the brick molding is attached already? Next question, is the molding usually attached to the windows before they are installed? With the molding attached, there is still about an inch of nailing fin still showing. Is this normal? We have Pella proline maintenance free windows.

We have cedar siding on our house. Not sure if that makes a difference in anything.

Any assistance with these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisement

docnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:39 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Most new construction windows have a nailing fin for installing them against the house sheathing. The brickmold is not attatched, since that is where it goes. I don't know what kind of windows you have, but brick molding is rarely attached, and often not supplied, since brickmold is not the only form a exterior trim.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:50 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Just Bill,

I think that is where the confusion is coming in. I purchased the brick mold on the same order as the windows and we were told that it will come unattached and the installer would be able to snap it on to the window once installed. The guy who we bought the windows from is coming to look at them sometime today. I measured the nailing fin and there is still an 1 1/4" showing outside of the brick mold. I am going to visit with our installed today about that. Do you think there will be an issue with pulling the siding back to get the fin under it? The windows we have are Pella Proline with aluminum exterior.

Thanks for the reply.
docnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:51 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Can you post a pic of the window?

As for the siding you need to have enough space to nail your nailing fins to the sheathing behind the siding, you dont just tuck them back behind. In my case I have cedar shingle siding and had to remove the shingles around the windows, install the new windows, then install new trim (I used 1x4 material), and finally install new shingles cut to fit where I had removed the old ones, prime,caulk,paint, yada yada yada

Last edited by creamaster; 08-17-2010 at 10:56 AM.
creamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,032

Be sure you have the correct installation instructions: second from the bottom: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/pella_p5.html

Be safe, Gary
Old 08-18-2010, 09:08 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

It's hard to speculate on your installation and the specifics without seeing your exact situation. As Creamaster said, post a photo or two.
Who specified the trim, you or the contractor? Why did you order the windows? It's been my experience that homeowners are mostly clueless in this endeavor, ordering the wrong product and/or the wrong accessories.
There are many threads here of people, saving money, ordering windows that don't fit.
A contractor who can't see trim attached to windows sitting in front of him is more then a bit troublesome.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote