Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #1

Share |

Newbie Remodel

I recently purchase a REO home. The previous owner decided to remove the drywall from one side of a load bearing wall to create a "built-in" media center from plywood. I haven't removed this "improvement" yet but I am hoping that the frame of this wall has not been altered. Even if this frame is intact, I would like to open up the space a little by creating a window through to the kitchen. The wall is approximately 12 feet long. Here's what I need to know:

What is the average cost for a contractor to perform this job?

Does this work require a permit?

Why would I not hire an engineer to calculate the load and let me know what type of supports I need to install to allow me to create a window through to the living room?

Thanks.
NoTimeToSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
I ask the impossible!

Newbie Remodel

Can't help on price, but permit answers will vary by locale - generally most places will want a permit on structural alterations which it sounds like this is.

I wouldn't expect that a contractor would need an engineer involved, this sounds like a straight forward openning. You'll need a header across the openning and that's easy enough for a carpenter to size from tables.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
load bearing wall