Newbie Needs Advice - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Newbie needs advice

New member here. I'm not an experienced carpenter or woodworker, never had room to have a shop until now. However, I am a DIY'r without a lot of fear and a high degree of tenacity.

I just purchased 37 acres of land with several small outbuildings and a log cabin that built in 1888 on it. The cabin was expanded in the early 1900's and the new (relatively speaking) section is not log.

The cabin is in very good shape for it's age and was inhabited full time until about 15 years ago but it does need quite a bit of work done on it.

We are planning on restoring/rehabilitating it over the next few years. For restoring the cabin, I'll be working mostly with rough sawn lumber, not dimensional lumber.

Our first order of business is to build a 16 x 16 storage shed on a concrete pad that is already in place on the property. My plan is to build a basic stick frame building using modern dimensional lumber.

Our plans also include building a full size workshop in the next couple of years. I plan to buy a cabinet saw and other more stationary tools once the workshop is done.

Currently I have a cheap table saw (Black and Decker firestorm) and a cheap delta 10" mitre saw that both came from big box retailers. I'm trying to decide if I should sell them and buy larger more robust replacements. Since the full workshop won't be in place for a while, I need to maintain portability for the time being.

What would you recommend? I don't really like buying tools twice, so I don't mind paying more upfront; however, I don't want to waste money either.

Thanks!

Advertisement

chromdome35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Newbie needs advice

I'm not sure anybody here can really give you an answer. You need to decide whether your current tools will perform everything you need to do until you have your shop built. A cabinet saw is certainly not portable and won't work real well in a 16'x16' space. Maybe you need to consider putting up the shop first, getting the heavy duty tools that you want and then having a place to fabricate what you need to restore the remaining buildings.

Advertisement

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 508

Newbie needs advice

Just hang on to the tools you have, for what they would be worth selling used, would be more valuable to store them in a corner and use them for portability.
Sometimes is nice to have more then one tool setup with a jig to make lots of the same pieces, while still having the other tool to use.
Might be hand when a neighbor wants to borrow a tool.
That quality used, would be more trouble trying to sell then to just keep them.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Newbie needs advice

You can tackle a lot with a chop saw and table saw; do what you need to do because as already stated, they probably aren't worth anything to sell them. The 10" blades will handle 2x4's just fine. But don't be the least bit surprised when you burn up the motor. Then go buy the right tools. A bigger, more adjustable mitre saw will simplify your work load a lot.
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote