Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2011, 10:56 AM   #1

Share |
Question

New windows and siding question...

we are replaceing all our windows and doors and applying new siding. The house currently has cedar shakes that we are covering up.
My questions are...
1. can I just apply my house wrap over the existing shakes (shingles) then my 1" styrofoam then siding or do the existing shakes have to come off first? God I sure hope they dont!!!

2. how do you attach the styrofoam sheets to the house??? strapping or just screws with large washers to hold it in place?

thanks so much...

ally19672000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

if your going through the trouble to replace all the old windows plus put new siding on.. spend the extra $$ and have all the old siding stripped. it will make the window installs far easier.. they will be properly sealed and flashed . the wall will be "flatter" for the new siding to lay. plus any rot issues with the framing can be addressed

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (11-09-2011)
Old 11-09-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
JOATMON

Think about this....

Your existing cedar is about 3/4" thick....factor in the total thickness due to the overlap....1.5". That means what ever you put over it is going to stick out an additional 1.5".

Look at it this way....if you were going to have your couch re-covered....would you leave the old material on there?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:13 PM   #4

do you mean actual cedar shake, or just cedar shingles?

I'd think shake would be a bear to "flatten", but shingles wouldn't be so bad.

leaving the old will add more insulation than removing it. My house has 3 layers of siding in places, and its all different too. It is the cheapest to heat place I've ever had and in the coldest and windiest spot I've ever lived in.

If you plan on leaving the old siding up, I'd skip the house wrap. there is probably some sort of vapor barrier there already, and you don't want to double up unless you are a fan of mold.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #5

With the extended thickness for the windows/doors in mind as said earlier, you would only get a few R's per inch for solid wood (1.25), most sidings: http://www.coloradoenergy.org/procor...f/r-values.htm. They are acting as an air barrier keeping infiltration from degrading the cavity insulation.

Siding would have a housewrap/asphalt paper = vapor permeable, adding another on top the shingles wouldn't hurt even if there is poly installed under the drywall. The wall could still dry to the outside, unless it is a "faced" foam board or thick polyiso foam.

Gary