Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2008, 05:04 PM   #1

Share |

New windows return on investment?

I have a typical 4 BR home, 2000 square feet, in the Western New York area (i.e., Buffalo) which is 1978 vintage. It still has the original windows -- triple track -- which are in good condition but clearly there have been improvements in window technology since then. I have been quoted $15000 to replace all the windows in the house (and a sliding patio door) with vinyl triple glass ones which will give me fantastic energy savings. Does anyone have a realistic estimate of what I might save? It can get a little on the chilly side here for a few months each year. I probably average $2500 per year in gas bills. So even if I save 40% ($1000/year) this is a 15 year ROI which does not look too wonderful.

ex-Khobar Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:38 PM   #2

How many windows in the home?

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:23 PM   #3

Replacing windows usually has the lowest ROI regardless of what the sales people will tell you. Do some googling for sure before you drop 15k. In order to maximize comfort and energy savings most best ROI renovations go like this: air sealing of attic bypasses/critical junctions and weatherstripping windows etc (including storms)>increased attic insulation> HVAC upgrades> increased wall insulation>and lastly new windows. Note that windows are last which can be attributed to their cost i think. I would concentrate first on the biggest bang for the buck like effectively airsealing the house and adding more attic insulation since its so cheap to do with a big ROI. If someone said that you will save 40% with just new windows they lied.
jaw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:36 PM   #4

If it is like around here, you have to listen closely to the ad. They say they guarantee up to a 40% savings. Now my question is, how do you guarantee up to something.
Bcoleman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:07 PM   #5

Thanks -- we have a decent quote for what seem like good windows -- whole house (11 wndows) for $6400. I can probably get that back when I sell it.
ex-Khobar Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:24 AM   #6

I replaced 24 windows in my house (built in 1927) this summer and my bills have dropped dramatically this winter. Last winter my smallest bill was $475 and the largest was $657 with the thermostat set at 62 when no one was home and 66-67 when we were home. This winter my highest bill was $315 with the average bill being @ $245. Given the fact that my thermostat has been set to 70 degress since mid November (had a baby in Dec.) I think the investment has been a very good one.
Leoskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:25 PM   #7

IF you had single pane windows with old double hung NON weatherstriped like days of REAL old,,,maybe,,but YOUR 78 vintage windows should be at least double pane thermos so dont think your return would be high enough to warrant it UNLESS you are visually seeing things we cant!! frosted over on the inside?? wind blowing thru(curtains moving type wind??) NOT counting COLD DROP off the glass. So you are saying you have triple panes NOW???GOOD storm windows??
justdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-Khobar Andy View Post
I have a typical 4 BR home, 2000 square feet, in the Western New York area (i.e., Buffalo) which is 1978 vintage. It still has the original windows -- triple track -- which are in good condition but clearly there have been improvements in window technology since then. I have been quoted $15000 to replace all the windows in the house (and a sliding patio door) with vinyl triple glass ones which will give me fantastic energy savings. Does anyone have a realistic estimate of what I might save? It can get a little on the chilly side here for a few months each year. I probably average $2500 per year in gas bills. So even if I save 40% ($1000/year) this is a 15 year ROI which does not look too wonderful.
$2,500 per year for heat in a 2,000 sq. ft. home? Yes, the windows should help but like jaw22 said, look for the other air leakages in the house. That gas bill sounds aweful high. I live in southern Ontario and our heat bills have never approached that high.

I also recommend before you drop that much cash you do two things (yes, a little link dropping here but it's important). First, go to the DSIRE web site and find out for your area all of the possible government grants for energy conservation. We didn't know until our recent window sales person told us and lost out on over $1200 because in our area one has to have an energy audit performed before the renovations. Here the link to the article on our blog about DSIRE.

Second, have a home energy audit performed. Many utilities offer them free! There is a great web site (link drop #2) referenced in our other blog post on what energy audits are all about, what the home owner can do on their own and what a 'professional' should be able to perform. I can't stress enough about the energy audit. We had never had one done in all the houses we have lived in until this one. We learned so much about energy conservation, different types of products available, and so on.

I hope that helps,
Dan
Educator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:56 AM   #9

Don't look for those windows to "pay for themselves". But the house will feel more comfortable, it will improve the value, and you will save on heating/cooling bills. As suggested above, there are other things to look at to improve fuel costs, such as insulation, fixing air leaks around doors, outlets, etc.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:43 AM   #10

Its been almost 9 months since the OP raised the question. Maybe he/she had the work done and can offer some real world numbers.
GB Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:05 AM   #11

looks like they haven't been active in about a year.

1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote