Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2011, 07:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

New windows and doors for remodeling

We have about 27year old house with original wood framed windows.
We have more than 30 windows and I am not sure if I can afford them to change out all.

I know many recommended vinyle windows, but I little bit better than vinyle windows.

I was told Marvin windows are very good but expensive.
I would love to receive some info on best way to go about getting Marvin windows withou paying a lot of money.
Costco use to sell Marvin windows, but they no longer offer them.

If not Marvin, I would love to hear suggestions on good fiber glass windows for alternative.

Thank you!

Last edited by Andee77; 10-10-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Andee77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

Depending on what your remodeling plans are, you don't need to replace the windows all at once. If you are thinking of using "replacement" windows, you can start with the worst ones and do a few at a time. Or if you are remodeling a few rooms at a time, do the windows as the remodel progresses. On the other hand, if you are replacing the siding, and want "new work" windows, then it makes sense to do them all at that time. The only other reasons to do them all at once would be if there was a significant savings to buying them all at once, or if you are going with a brand that you are worried you might not be able to find in a year or two....

1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 4

fiy, fibreglass windows cost a fair amount more than vinyl ones. they are built to a higher standard than vinyl and perform better as well

in regards to costco carrying martin windows.. chances are these windows are the bottom of the line windows and are production run common sizes. if you have custom sizes already you will either have to order custom windows to replace the old ones or reframe the rough openings so to fit the new ones
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote