New Windows - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2011, 10:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New windows

I'm not even going to pretend that I'm competent enough to do this myself.

I was hoping to get some feedback on what I'm trying to do. I live in a house probably close to 50 years old. I can't swear to it, but I think the thing has the original wooden sash/pulley system windows from when it was constructed.

I can't afford to replace all the windows at once. What I want to do is to replace the windows room by room. My other issue is that I don't do debt so I would need to budget and save the money to hire someone to install.

Okay, so in my first room, I have two windows that I believe are 32" x 54" (if I measured correctly). I would like to install energy efficient windows and I'm sure that whoever installed them would have to do insulating magic to make them air tight.

If I'm in KY (which is convenient, because I am), what is a ballpark estimate of what I would need to set as a savings goal to install two of these windows correctly.

I understand that no one can give me a firm estimate, and like I said, it will take me some time to save. I'm just looking for ballpark if anyone can help. thanks for any answers.......

Advertisement

charlalei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

New windows

Oh yeah, meant to add that I would be interested in purchasing Pella-quality standard windows. Nothing fancy but a middle line window.

I know at the dreaded Lowe's they sell for about $140 each so I was thinking of around that ballpark for just cost of windows.

Advertisement

charlalei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

New windows

You would call in at least 3 contractors to get real world estimates for your locale. You need an onsite inspection to get valid information and prices.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

New windows

I actually just got done replace 16 windows and 3 exterior doors on sunday. it really isnt that hard as long as you have all the right tools and order the windows correctly. It took me about 11 days (thankfully i was off over the holidays). This is the first house that i have owned and i just read as much as i could read about installing them. I did one about a month ago as a trial and error just to see how it would go. I learned a ton just from that. That way you dont have a ton invested if you end up not being able to do it yourself.

Windows arent to terribly expensive unless you have to start special ordering them. It cost me right around $6k for all new windows and doors. The quotes i had ranged anywhere from $2500 to $4000 to install.

I ordered my windows from Lowes and used Pella Thermastar. The 4 non special order windows were $169. The special orders ranged from $220 to $280 each. I know if you have lowes install them they will not charge you sales tax on the window itself.
diybrad is offline   Reply With Quote