New Window MISTAKE - Need Quick Help - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Angry

New Window MISTAKE - need quick help

Hi All-

Thanks for taking a look.

My contractor installed two new construction Anderson 400 series windows yesterday. We are residing the back of the house with stucco so he took off the old siding and sheathed with ply. He then wrapped the wall with black felt paper. He wrapped the sill and rough open with self-adshesive flashing (I made him because he hadn't brought the felt wrap around the rough open) BUT when I inspected the job (after he left) I realized that he DID NOT OVERLAP the felt wrap over the top window flange (fin) the way EVERYTHING says you should. The felt is UNDER the flange.

He's off for the weekend so I'm trying to figure out what to do.

Should I have him pull the window out? It's nailed in and I'm concerned about damaging the flange and the felt wrap when he digs out the roofing nail heads.

I figure he could use deck screws to put it back into the same holes.

I also thought about running a good bead of caulk/sealant along the joint of flange and wrap and avoid removing the nails.

Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated.

Advertisement

trystero777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

no need to pull the window flange,have the installer cut a slit a few inches above and slide a piece of felt up behind the felt and over the flange

make sure if this window uses tap in flanges that a metal drip cap is installed first

Advertisement

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom Struble For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (10-29-2011), kwikfishron (10-29-2011), woodworkbykirk (10-29-2011)
Old 10-29-2011, 12:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Thoughts;
This is a DIY forum. Since you know how to do it "the way EVERYTHING says you should", why aren't you doing it yourself?

What to do now? felt is cheap, put another layer on top.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

op is right,everything does tell you to do this
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Struble View Post
op is right,everything does tell you to do this
No arguments from me on that one. What we don't know is what 777 told the contractor when correcting him the first time. Could be he was "just following orders" The second you tell a professional how to do their job, they can blame your instructions for anything that goes wrong with the project from there on out.Many would rather have it leak, then come back and charge you again than to argue with you the first time.
The Following User Says Thank You to forresth For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (10-29-2011)
Old 10-29-2011, 12:45 PM   #6

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,144

Take photos before, during and after so you might have information when the window is suspected of leaking. Most windows (60%+) are installed improperly even by experienced carpenters and the window manufacturers know this and improper installation avoids the window from be a part of problem without proof.

The photos are your property and you can release any at you option if there is a problem.

Making a weatherproof window is not that difficult, but that does not include the typical installation errors that cause the problems.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:52 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,052

He should have two layers of paper as the first will stick to the stucco: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...d-wall-systems

As per minimum Code:

http://www.fortifiber.com/pdf/News_I...o%20Layers.pdf

Gary

Tom Struble (10-29-2011)
Old 10-29-2011, 01:36 PM   #8

Wow - thanks for the quick responses. Tom -- that's a brilliant solution. The windows are down low on the wall so we'd have to wrap up 20 feet or so with a second sheet - plus he's got the wire mesh already installed up there.

As for correcting him - when I saw that he hadn't wrapped the felt into the rough open of the window I knew I had to jump in. I'm not sure the guy had ever put in a new construction window. The stucco contractor assured me he could install the windows as he also does general contracting -- but the kid he left on the job is pretty inexperienced.

Pictures are a great idea and will commence at least from here on out.

As for DIY - if you want I'll send a list of my DIY jobs which range from building a couple of staircases to framing and hanging French doors to installing new exterior door (frame and all) along with 1000's of other smaller projects. Trouble is - I have to work for a living these days.

I guess this is a DIY contracting gig. In New York City home renovation/contracting is a blood sport. Contractors here are sharks. I have a house upstate as well and the contractors are thoughtful and really want to do a good job. Down here, most of them will shave every corner to make another buck.

I'll check how many layers of felt he's got on there.

Thanks a million!
Old 10-29-2011, 02:14 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,052

More reading with links for your busy schedule: window trim question
Glad we could help!

Gary
Old 10-29-2011, 03:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by trystero777 View Post
As for correcting him - when I saw that he hadn't wrapped the felt into the rough open of the window I knew I had to jump in. I'm not sure the guy had ever put in a new construction window. The stucco contractor assured me he could install the windows as he also does general contracting -- but the kid he left on the job is pretty inexperienced.
!
I'm surprised you didn't get someone who knew what they were doing in this job market.

I guess in that case, I'd have said something along the lines of; "I don't think you are doing that correctly, maybe you better check with your boss."

I guess everyone is cutting corners.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:13 PM   #11
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 160

the scary thing is if you saw as many windows as ive seen incorrectly sealed your head would spin. ive seen guys who have used blueskin going from the top down so every lower row will catch water, ive see guys tyvek the building first then install lattice (rain screen) for wood siding , set the window then install a cap flashing over the lattice leaving a 1/4" gap behind the flashing for water to get into.... windows and doors that are 3/8 out of square and wonder why they wont close.

as for telling a contractor how to do his job.. your basically asking for him to walk off the job and not come back for a few days, seen it happen. ive done this to family members who ive done work for and they have no experience in construction where as i specialize in complete renovations of very high end homes working foundation to finish.

as for stucco cant say.. i hate the look of it and in my climate its considered "garbage" its not designed for a freeze thaw climate like in my region.. everybuilding thats done with it needs repairs within 3 years
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:54 PM   #12

Me again--

Well, thanks to you guys I checked how many layers of felt he had going. Just one. I did a little research and found not only do they now say 2 layers felt - but they want a rain mesh in between. I had him remove all the wire mesh. We added a rain mesh -- then a 2nd coat of black felt. (Course I had to pay for it $$$) I'm feeling much better thanks to you all.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
Take photos before, during and after so you might have information when the window is suspected of leaking. Most windows (60%+) are installed improperly even by experienced carpenters and the window manufacturers know this and improper installation avoids the window from be a part of problem without proof.

The photos are your property and you can release any at you option if there is a problem.

Making a weatherproof window is not that difficult, but that does not include the typical installation errors that cause the problems.

Dick

And thanks again!

Advertisement

Carlos2sun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flange , new construction windows