Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2008, 12:19 PM   #1
I have gas!

Share |

New wall construction, sheathing over openings

Is there any special consideration given to when plywood sheathing ends on windows?
I'm sheathing putting the sheets up horizontally and just covering the windows and just making sure that the end of the ply lands on a stud but if an end lands in the middle of a window, I just make sure that whereever the end of the sheet is, there is also a cripple. Then I'll cut out the windows. Is this correct or does it not matter?
TIA
Old 11-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #2

Nothing wrong with doing it that way. It makes for less measuring!

The APA's website has some excellent reading if you have questions regarding layout.
http://www.apawood.com/level_b.cfm?content=app_res_wind
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:57 PM   #3

Plus you are sheltered from the elements when finishing any interior work (strapping or partitions). Where i'm from we get all the shelter we can. Some work lights on the inside and way to go!
DIYJIMBONL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:54 PM   #4

thats the way we have always done it
kevin211mvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:41 PM   #5
knewbie

I started doing it that way about 5 years ago and have never looked back. I use a router from the outside to make a perfect cut, I will also use my sawzaw from the inside if the window is to high off the ground.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
curapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:58 PM   #6

i have someone cut pieces to fit as i go you will find out it gets fairly easy and usually the rips are the same.
chad4290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:23 PM   #7
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo View Post
Is there any special consideration given to when plywood sheathing ends on windows?
I'm sheathing putting the sheets up horizontally and just covering the windows and just making sure that the end of the ply lands on a stud but if an end lands in the middle of a window, I just make sure that whereever the end of the sheet is, there is also a cripple. Then I'll cut out the windows. Is this correct or does it not matter?
TIA
The sheet should land on a cripple stud no matter what you do because the cripple studs above the header and the jacks under the window sills should be following the rest of the studs 16" center layouts.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:51 AM   #8
knewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad4290 View Post
i have someone cut pieces to fit as i go you will find out it gets fairly easy and usually the rips are the same.

I sheathed this way for years until I was told about the other method I mentioned. I have found that you can dramatically reduce your time by sheathing over windows and then cutting out. You then do not have to worry about any incorrect measurements and such. I put my helper on cutting the windows out while I move on to a more important task.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
curapa is offline   Reply With Quote