New Unfaced Insulation Off Gassing Something - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2010, 01:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New Unfaced Insulation Off gassing something

My 25 yr old house was built new with JM yellow insulation with black facing paper that was laced with arsenic as a fire retardant. in every outside wall as well as the bathrooms, kitchen, and ceilings with pipes. 3 yrs ago it started off gassing formaldehyde and arsenic oxide so bad the air was toxic enough to cause damage to the corneas of my son whose room faced the sun. The MSDS sheet that was produced after the product was in my home said do not put in homes over 80 degrees. We're in GA.

We have had to tear out every outside wall and replace the insulation at our cost because JM said it was not their problem. I have replaced it with JM formaldehyde free faced mold free insulation in every wall. We purchased the unfaced 6" insulation for the unfinished attic.

The new Johns Mansville Formaldehyde Free Unfaced Insulation is off-gassing something. The faced does not do this. Does anyone know what chemical this could be? It makes me nauseous and gives me a headache which make me think it is toxic like their former product.

I'm about to remove all of this new insulation as JM products are making my home unlivable.

Does anyone know what chemical it is off-gassing? JM has not called me back yet. When I called about their former product which there was an EPA superfund clean-up that expired in 1995, customer service had never heard about it so I will not hold my breath for their call but will for this insulation.

Help Help.

Advertisement

common sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:11 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Common: That really, really stinks. I would have thought JM would help you out a bit. Is there any way to get some legal beaver type to call them on your behalf? As for replacing the NEW insulation, DO NOT use fiberglass, period. Get some cotton (treated w/ borates), mineral(rock) wool, or, better yet, cellulose batts instead. Also, it may be advisable to get someone in the haz mat area to "sniff" your house; maybe there is something else going on. Good luck. j

Advertisement

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:38 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

It baffles me that you put in another Johns Manville product.
Look into lawyer and Owens Cornng or Certainteed.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,010

Did you research online? http://www.healthyhouseinstitute.com...ation_Overview

Gary