New Subfloor Questions - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2010, 08:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

New subfloor questions

Im about to dive into a second story bedroom project and have a few questions.

Older house, 24 on center real 2x6 joist. 2 layers of t&g giving it 1.5 inch thickness. Room is aprox 112" x 168".

Right now the floor is really bouncy and shakes the downstairs and with the moderate walking around in the room. First task i was going to do is remove flooring and sister the joists that are there now (glue and screw). Then i was going to run a heat duct through one of the paths and add blocking about every 4 feet where i can.

And now the questions;

1. What thickness should i go for the flooring? Should I just use jsut 1 layer or two? This room will have carpet.

2. Is it a bad idea to reuse the t&g? Its barely nailed down and im sure i can salvage most if not all of it.

thanks for any info...

Advertisement

simonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:44 PM   #2

New subfloor questions

If you have the height, when you sister them up use 2x8's(2x10's would be awesome) some of the problem with bouncing might be that 2x6's really aren't used too much for a floor system spanning any more than 10 feet. Even that distance was a little bouncy. Using the 2x8's should firm it up a good bit and you only need one layer of 3/4" t&g, that second layer that was put on added more weight to the equation making it worse. I also don't know if you duct will fit in a 2x6 height.

Advertisement

Toolmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:04 PM   #3

New subfloor questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolmaster View Post
If you have the height, when you sister them up use 2x8's(2x10's would be awesome) some of the problem with bouncing might be that 2x6's really aren't used too much for a floor system spanning any more than 10 feet. Even that distance was a little bouncy. Using the 2x8's should firm it up a good bit and you only need one layer of 3/4" t&g, that second layer that was put on added more weight to the equation making it worse. I also don't know if you duct will fit in a 2x6 height.
Thanks for the quick reply Toolmaster.

I really cant use anything more then the 2x6 without making things complicated, i have some walls that are sitting on the joist and i dont have much height to play with.

I was going to get 2x8 and actually rip them to make them the same size as the old 2x6 for the sistering. As for the duct, i was going to run square ducting or 5 inch round, im almost sure it will fit as i have 24 on center and 6 inch height to play with.

Since 3/4 plywood is thick enough i still have to make up for the 3/4 missing, to make up for the difference maybe I can to use OSB to save money.

As for the blocking, the joist runs that dont have ducting i was going to block normaly, but the run with the duct i was going to turn the blocks so they lay flat above and/or bellow teh duct.

Last edited by simonb; 03-25-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:17 PM   #4

New subfloor questions

Well after re-reading the entire thread again, i think i might have answered my question. Let me know what you guys think.

my current joinst is 6" + 1-1/2" t&g double layer giving me 7-1/2 total.

I can get 2x8 (real size 1-1/2" x 7-1/4"), rip them to 6-3/4, use these to sister and raise the floor to height where all i need is 3/4 plywood.

At the location of the wall, closet of other room, there is just 1 joist that i would have to notch further down to 6" for 2 feet for it to sit on the first floor support wall.

Now this is all assuming that 3/4" is enough for 24 on center studs. Maybe 2 layers staggered of 1/2? or is this too thin and heavy? Any one else have an idea?