Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-16-2008, 12:15 AM   #1

Share |

New stucco question

I have this medium size area that I am stucco'ing and after the final layer I textured and misted it down, few hours later I noticed some small cracks in it already. What did I do wrong?
amdspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:55 AM   #2

New stucco question

Just had a little report on this very subject.I copied and pasted it for you to have a look at.Hope this helps you.
" A vertical and horizontal grid of cracks imply an improperly attached lath that increases internal stress. People will try to use a coating on top of it, but it's potentially one problem on top of another, there's not a good fix except for re-stuccoing.

Likewise, a spider webbing pattern of cracks indicates insufficient curing. The stucco is too thin or was installed at the wrong temperature.If water dries out too fast, you get an abnormal amount of shrinkage cracks.
Cracks near corners of a building often indicate that the lath was pulled too tight, causing a thinner application of stucco in that area. "If it's too thin, the water gets behind it and it just explodes.

Diagonal cracks often speak of deeper problems related to seismic activity, structural problems or both. A diagonal crack could represent a shifting foundation, settling or, if it occurs around windows or doors, improperly framed openings.

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:15 PM   #3

New stucco question

I dont know if that helped the person who started this thread but it sure explained why part of my skin coat came apart thanks
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:18 PM   #4

New stucco question

I'm guessing it's due to the improperly attached lath, I had some play in the wire even though I had nailed it down plenty. The cracks are very thin, should I try to just cover them up?
amdspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:06 PM   #5

New stucco question

The choice is yours to make. If by chance you top-coat only to cover up the cracks, I would use a good Latex caulking.Elastomeric or a Mastic caulking would be a good choice as well.

clasact............I know what you mean.lol

Last edited by mark942; 06-16-2008 at 06:08 PM.
mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote