Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #1

Share |

New Stamped Concrete-Is this a good job?

Hi,

I just paid $5,500 for a new stamped patio. I am not sure what is normal for a quality job. Here are photos of some "chinks", i.e holes and the cuts which aren't all that great. Also, it turned out pinkish instead of tan-brownish as I chose fromthe samples. The contractor says that the concrete hasn't cured and the sealer hasn't been applied yet and that I will like it when it is done?

Any feedback would be helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
New Stamped Concrete-Is this a good job?-image1-6.jpg   New Stamped Concrete-Is this a good job?-image1-4.jpg   New Stamped Concrete-Is this a good job?-image1-5.jpg  

Last edited by eagle8111; 09-16-2011 at 04:21 PM. Reason: add comment
eagle8111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle8111 View Post
Hi,

I just paid $5,500 for a new stamped patio. I am not sure what is normal for a quality job. Here are photos of some "chinks", i.e holes and the cuts which aren't all that great. Also, it turned out pinkish instead of tan-brownish as I chose fromthe samples. The contractor says that the concrete hasn't cured and the sealer hasn't been applied yet and that I will like it when it is done?

There are no photos posted.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:39 PM   #3
Tileguy

Not enough photos to see anything or get a good overall idea of what you have.

The small chink in the second photo can be touched up. Assuming you are showing us what you think is the worst of it then I'd say you got a helluva good job.

The only question mark I have for now is how is applying the sealer going to change the color from pink to tan? I will answer that question for you! It won't.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:01 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Not enough photos to see anything or get a good overall idea of what you have.

The small chink in the second photo can be touched up. Assuming you are showing us what you think is the worst of it then I'd say you got a helluva good job.

The only question mark I have for now is how is applying the sealer going to change the color from pink to tan? I will answer that question for you! It won't.
Actually Bud, if the correct sealer is used on the patio, it will make a night & day difference in the overall color of the patio.

I've dealt with these same concerns that the OP has from HO's in the past, which is why I ALWAYS explain the stamping process before we start. I always tell the HO :"If you like it right after we're done pouring & stamping it, we're going to have a problem, because the finished product will look significantly different (and better) once it's sealed.

As for the saw chip-out's it's not great, but if it's intregal concrete, it's probably not the end of the world either. Ask the contractor why he doesn't just invest in a "Sof-cut" saw........................
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:55 PM   #5
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Hi,

Is the contractor paid in full?
Old 09-17-2011, 09:12 AM   #6

Hi..thank you for your comments. No the contractor has not been paid in full yet, just $1200. The invoice arrived though.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:51 AM   #7
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Hi..thank you for your comments. No the contractor has not been paid in full yet, just $1200. The invoice arrived though.
You do not pay him until it's done right.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:28 AM   #8

Thank you for your comments. I am not someone who has UNrealistic expectations for contractors and appreciate how hard their business is. However, what I am trying to determine is what SHOULD I expect on this type of job. I was probably naive, didn't expect that rough cuts in the concrete...but should can I expect them to repair the chips? The color IS getting a bit better and the posted photos are pinker than the actual color.

One can't fix a poor cut, so that is the way it goes, right. I will ask to have the chips repaired before the sealer is put on.

Any other ideas are appreciated as I am a novice.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:57 PM   #9

I can't see what the stamp looks like as for texture.They can put a tint in the sealer to change the color some what.WE never never saw cut stamped serfaces.DEEP TOOL IS ALWAYS THE NORM FOR US.THEY CAN USE A CRACK CHASER ON ALL OF THE JOINTS TO CLEAN THEM UP IFIT'S INTERGAL COLORTHENMIX SCREENED COLOR HARDNER WITH ACRAL 60 TO COLOR MATCH THE SPALLED AREAS.NEVER PICK A COLOR BY A CHART.ALWAYS TEST SAMPLES, MORE OF A PAIN BUT NEVER A PROBLEM. I'ts always easy to talk trash about others.but we all think it will work out.tell him all your concernsand he should tell you his fix.good luck,ken

We all no alot but can only do a little----an.
kchunt is offline   Reply With Quote