Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2007, 04:07 PM   #1
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,012

New Staircase Location

I'm changing the floor plan of my house and that includes moving the stairs.
Currently, there are 3 turner steps (I call them pie shaped steps). The new staircase will consist of 1 step up to a landing and then straight thereafter. The last attached pix is the floor plan that I'm trying to get to.
What I'm trying to figure out is how to attach the second floor framing (ledger ?) for the top of the staircase. One idea I had was cut the floor joists shorter and install a double 8" lvl and reattach the joists with hangers. Any ideas are appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
New Staircase Location-staircasea.jpg   New Staircase Location-staircaseb.jpg   New Staircase Location-staircasec.jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by Clutchcargo; 12-22-2007 at 04:11 PM.
Clutchcargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 07:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

New Staircase Location

Is this a 3 story home?

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

New Staircase Location

Clutchcargo,

Nice shack!

I think the design you have come up with really uses the space wisely...good job.

The new set of stairs is going land at the main bearing wall that runs across the house at the front of the fireplace....right.

The window at the top of the new staircase will be too close so your more than likely going to need to move it up or something.

Will you have enough run to get the total rise with the stairs..you did not specify a floor to floor finish height.

You are going to need to header off the bearing main wall on both sides of the fireplace...are you planning on tucking a beam up between the exsiting joists or using a dropped beam. If a drop beam than your joist can just lap over the beam and continue to across the well opening you need to close off.

Pete A.
panthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 08:30 AM   #4
I have gas!

New Staircase Location

It's a work in progress that will take a couple/few years to finish. The house is a complete gut, interior and exterior so current window placement is not an issue.
This is a two story house. I should have been a little clearer about the floor plan pix. The first 2 are 1st and 2nd floor of the current layout. The last is the future floor layout.
Upon further investigation the upper section of the staircase's treads are pitched down toward the far wall of the staircase. The floor under the 2nd floor bath seems to be understructured and not supported from directly from below (support walls). Since there will be no need for the break in the 2nd floor to accomodate the staircase, I think I'm going to restructure the floor joists under the bath so that they are supported by the center bearing wall.
Are you saying that I should put a proper support beam across the entire house to replace the 2 2x4s that are currently there or do yo think I can patch in where I'm restructuring?
This project is being done in phases so if the center 2nd floor support beam will be replaced, can the beam be done in a few pieces? I'm living here while I do the renovations so I'm trying to get the second floor mostly done this winter so that I can move upstairs and tear out the downstairs after. The foyer is the only room on the 1st floor that is down to studs.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:12 AM   #5

New Staircase Location

If you pull out studs in that structural center wall you will need to header off the space created from removing them. It is important that you size the beams correctly to support the distributed loads or you will have problems later on. Just make sure that you can follow the download force applied from the structure above to the foundation.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:47 AM   #6
I have gas!

New Staircase Location

So the 2x4s are OK, I thought I'd have to replace them with something that offers more support. I don't know why I thought this would be any different from an exterior wall.
So to recap, I'll need a header where the current opening is. Can I attach the the header on the exterior wall with a hanger on one side and jack studs on the other?
That still leaves me with the problem of how to attach some kind of ledger for the staircase to lean on.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:52 AM   #7

New Staircase Location

You will need to open the ceiling above the new stair rise in order to gain the proper headroom...80" min. clearance from the nosing by code. I can't tell from the images what direction the joists are positioned directly above the new stair well.

You can run the other joists over the exterior wall and hang as long as you distribute the weight down to the foundation properly.

Will the new staircase be open underneath...or will there be a wall directly under where the stair horses make contact with the floor above? What type of staircase are you planning...open or closed stringer...skirt below..?

There are many options to think of which will determine what type of framing is needed to support the horse stringers.

Pete A.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:24 AM   #8
I have gas!

New Staircase Location

Below the new staircase will be a new staircase to the basement. I'm building a standard LVL 3 stringer staircase. The new stairs will run parallel with the joists.
If you look at the second picture (shot from postion "B" on the layout picture), I was thinking of lag bolting a ledger onto the end of the joists and use hangers on the exterior wall side.