Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #1

Share |

New Shed Questions

Hey all!

I was planning on using a local kit supplier in Utah but just found out they take the summer off, so I'm re-exploring building them myself. Background info:

The area is at the back of our lot, 16'X26'. There used to be two old nasty sheds that we're replacing. I'm putting up two 10x12 sheds in the backyard of our duplex one for each of the rental units. Shed floors area going to be concrete. The areas that aren't concrete is going to be 1" gravel, 2-3" deep.
Also before anyone asks, yes - I've checked with the city. Up to 240 sq ft does not need a permit I can also put the shed up to the property line, the only rule is I need to retain my water.

My couple questions:

Shed Floor - I've done a lot of searching - can't find anything definitive on how high above grade. Slab with be 5 1/2" thick or so (might as well - 5 yards costs the same to deliver as 3 yards with a short load fee). I'm in Utah, and we get a decent amount of snow. I'm considered putting it 3" above grade, is that enough/good?

Also, on the topic of the pad - I've had some people say 4-6" around the shed is adequate, and others say as much as 12" (i.e. a 10x12 shed does on a 11x13 pad). Anyone have anything solid on this? I'd prefer 4", but have the space to go up to 12".

20x12 - When I was buying kits 2 10x12's were considerably cheaper than a 20x12. Is that the same case for building? I'm thinking it may be easier to simply build one large shed and then create a separation wall in the middle and two sets of doors on on of the 20' walls. Thoughts? I think the main reason why I'm not sure about this is because it looks cleaner not seeing the roof. How complicated would building a roof that runs the 20' length (high point supported by the center separation wall)? It will end up being fairly flat, but we plan to put on metal roofing.

Thanks all

litleclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #2

New Shed Questions

Well, now I feel like a putz. I didn't realize you can't delete threads....now I'm the dumb newbie.

litleclay is offline   Reply With Quote