New Shed, Gable Roof - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2010, 01:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

New Shed, Gable Roof

I'm looking for details on how to construct a gable roof on my new shed.

I'm going to use a ridge beam and all but the two end trusses will have a bird mouth cut. The end trusses will cantilever out about 9 to 12 inches beyond the building on all four sides.

My question deals with the plywood and fascia boards .

I'm planning to align the edge of the plywood with the end of the last truss and then install the fascia to cover up both and have the shingles directly on the fascia. Same with the front and back edges of the roof. Is this correct? Any idea where I can find some detailed illustrations on how to construct the fine details of the roof?

Advertisement

papageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:25 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

New Shed, Gable Roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by papageek View Post
I'm looking for details on how to construct a gable roof on my new shed.

I'm going to use a ridge beam and all but the two end trusses will have a bird mouth cut. The end trusses will cantilever out about 9 to 12 inches beyond the building on all four sides.

My question deals with the plywood and fascia boards .

I'm planning to align the edge of the plywood with the end of the last truss and then install the fascia to cover up both and have the shingles directly on the fascia. Same with the front and back edges of the roof. Is this correct? Any idea where I can find some detailed illustrations on how to construct the fine details of the roof?
Are you talking about extending the gable ends? If so, we call them, "Fly Raftes". You say trusses. Are you ordering trusses for a shed? What do you mean that the end trusses will have a birdsmouth? If you are not using trusses and stick framing the roof, all your rafters will have a birdsmouth cut from the same common rafter pattern.

Advertisement

Old 10-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #3

New Shed, Gable Roof

Thanks for the reply Joe,

Yes I am stick building the trusses myself. Last night I cut what I think is called the top chords. I cut 28 of them all the same length, then used a pattern to determine where the bird mouth cuts should be. Cut the first bird mouth then used that board as a pattern to cut 23 more the same way.

The four top chords that will be Fly Rafted out about 9 inches do not have bird mouths. My plan, and I hope I'm right here, is to end the plywood exactly at the edge of the Fly Rafted truss. I will apply a fascia board to the end of that and my shingles will extend another half inch beyond the fascia.

I'm trying to figure out exactly how that all goes together with drip edge and the like. I've been looking for some sort of diagram on line, but no luck so far
Old 10-18-2010, 03:03 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

New Shed, Gable Roof

Consider that when you add the metal drip edge, the top 3/4 " or so of the fascia (or the plywood edge) gets covered, so it really doesn't matter for appearance sake.
What does matter is the possibility of a 'leak' somewhere and having the plywood 'waterfall' the leak past the fascia will avoid a potential issue with the leaking water causing damage when it gets trapped.

Either way will work, but running the plywood over the fascia would be MY preferred method.

By the way, I can draw it on CAD both ways for you. What pitch is your roof going to be?
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:48 PM   #5

New Shed, Gable Roof

Well, pitch is kind of a fluid questions. This is a pure DIY project. The pitch chart says that 6/12 is a 26.57 cut with my table saw and 7/12 is a 30.26 cut. I set the table saw to 30 degrees for the cuts I made last night.

I also created a pattern with two nearly half sheets of plywood and cut a 2 by 10 to 117 inches which is the width of the shed side to side. I laid out the pattern and will line everything up with a scrap piece of 2x6 (ridge poll) tonight. I'm going to use some scrap 1/2 ply to place over the opt extending 3 1/2 inches below the ridge poll and then place a 2x4 cross brace just under the ridge poll. I'm going to run rafters over 6 of the 14 trusses where the tractor is stored and I'm using tie down every 4 feet where the plywood joints will be.

FYI: One other issue I had with this shed is that it is being built on top of the concrete for an old dog run. It was an inch wider at one end than the other, so when I got to the wall where the double doors will be, I pushed the back wall out of plumb that inch so the roof will be square.

The concrete base was also had a 6 inch fall from one corner to the opposite corner, for washing down the dog "leavings"! I had to use a laser level to set the first row of half sheet PT plywood level at the top and follow the contour of the concrete on the bottom. After placing a full sheet of ply on top of the bottom row I made a jig to cut the studs off level at the desired height!

This has been a fun project!
Old 10-18-2010, 04:23 PM   #6

New Shed, Gable Roof

Here is an image of how it can be done. The image is showing a 12:12 pitch, so don't scale any measurements from it...
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2010, 10:46 AM   #7

New Shed, Gable Roof

Thanks for an excellent example of what to do!
Old 10-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #8

New Shed, Gable Roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by papageek View Post
Thanks for an excellent example of what to do!
You are welcome.
Good luck with your project.
Glad to assist.

Advertisement