Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #1

Share |

New Shed - 10x10 multiple questions

I recently aquired my first house and because there is a lack of overrall garage space, I have hopes of installing a shed.

The two options I am considering are buying a pre-fab'd one or building my own. Now, me personally, as handy as I wish I was, this is way out of my skill set, but I do have a friend who would be willing to help me out for a reasonable rate.

Beings I am just researching this - I do not have an exact plan picked out for a shed that I would build.

Is there a good way to get a rough estimate of what the material cost would be for a 10x10 gable shed - This is the general type of shed that I found that looked reasonable. I am not sold on one design vs another, I am just looking for a decent space to store things in. I certainly do not need windows, just something that is not going to be hideous looking.

Perhaps the best idea would to bring this list and head to Home Depot? -- Right now I am just trying to get a grasp on where we are at with cost, I really have nothing to base it upon as I have not done much lumber purchasing. Do you think we would be around $500 for materials? Am I too high? Too low?

Based upon the list below, I assuming because it requires skids, that this would be enough wood for the flooring as well?

Does this seem like a reasonable project?

Thoughts or comments?

4 x 4 x 10ft pressure treated (skids) -- 2
2 x 4x 92 5/8(pre cuts) -- 43
2 x 4 x 8ft -- 1
2 x 4 x 10ft82 x 4 x 10ft -- 8
2 x 6 x 10 hardboard siding -- 10
4ft x 8ft no groove siding (trim) -- 2
4ft x 8ft x 3/4 inch CDX plywood -- 4
4ft x 8ft x 1/2 inch OSB (roof ) -- 5
Drip edge, 10ft lengths -- 5
15# felt (roll) - 1
Shingles (bundle) - 5
Door hinges -- 3
Door latch -- 1
Assorted fasteners -- ~$25.00

Thanks for any input!

splintner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #2

You material list is way off.
Your going to have to get a permit and meet set back on the property line and utilitys.
No one here is going to be quoting prices. Even if they did what goods that going to do you? You need local pricing.
Your right both Lowes and HD can design a shed for you and come up with a materials list at the contractors deck.
Keep a few things in mind, no ones ever built a shed that's to big, only to small. What good is it if it's to small?
Plywood and any sheathing panels come 4' wide, if you make it 10' X 10' there's more waste and cutting to be done.
Only two skids and the door will end up sagging in the middle.
Always go over sized on the floor joist, if the floors sagging the shed will fail.
Make sure to have an over hang on all sides of the roof. It will help prevent splash back and add to the life of the siding.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
AGWhitehouse (03-19-2013)
Old 03-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #3

Welcome to the Forum!

you may want to go back and edit your profile to indicate your location. Location helps to answer your questions as certain construction applies to certain environments.

taking a materials list to HD or a lumber yard is the best way to get current pricing. We could guess, but guessing is not the way to put together a budget, at least not an effective way.

I do not see any framing for the floor, are you planning on a dirt floor?

I did not calculate the amount of materials you would need so I cannot comment on the quantity.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #4

This is some good information, and for that I appreciate it. Based upon a materials list being incorrect, insufficient, or just not accurate, where is the best place to get a plan for a shed as well as a materials list? I obviously do not want to just order a plan online without having an idea of the plan quality, amount of detail and completeness -- Or is my best best a home improvement store as a first step.

As far as the floor, from the sounds of it, a wood floor would be the standard, of course it all depends what your needs are. Likely, this would be the route I would take.

Keep in mind, I am very new to this, so if there is not enough detail or any additional information needed, just let me know. As a new home owner, I am hoping to expand my knowledge base and hopefully become more handy so to speak -- Luckily I have the internet to help me along my journey.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
JOATMON

Like Joe said, putting your location in your profile helps. Here in California, you do not need a permit for any structure under 120 sq ft....but in other parts of the country....yep....need a permit.

One thing to consider...if the shed is not permanent, as in, can be moved or easily taken down...it will sometimes be exempt. If that is the case in your area, building it on 'skids' might make it 'portable'.

As the guys above had said, go to HD or Lowes for pricing....you won't get that here.

One comment from me about your materials...I would not use OSB for the roof....I think you would get longer service using 1/2" CDX plywood.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by splintner View Post
As far as the floor, from the sounds of it, a wood floor would be the standard, of course it all depends what your needs are.
so what are you needs? wood, concrete or dirt are common floors in a shed. what will the shed be used for? is it portable or will it be permanent?

is 10x10 big enough? as joe said people complain of building too small, not too big ....

internet will provide lots of ideas and information http://www.bhg.com/home-improvement/...en-shed-ideas/

Old 03-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
so what are you needs? wood, concrete or dirt are common floors in a shed. what will the shed be used for? is it portable or will it be permanent?

is 10x10 big enough? as joe said people complain of building too small, not too big ....

internet will provide lots of ideas and information http://www.bhg.com/home-improvement/...en-shed-ideas/
My needs would be storage - Likely I would have my motorcycle, lawn mower, and patio furniture during the winter.

It is a valid point that if you are going to build a shed, might as well make it larger than your current needs, especially if the size of the lot will support it.

I checked into the permit situation, it appears that my city in Minnesota is similar to California, no permit is required if the shed is under 120 sq ft. So that would leave me at a maximum of 10x12 if I was not wanting to get a permit.

Thanks for the link!
Old 03-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #8

I would consider a premanufactured shed. The Amish make really good ones.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #9

Quote:
So that would leave me at a maximum of 10x12 if I was not wanting to get a permit.
don't let a permit stop you from building what you need ...... measure out the stuff you plan on storing in the shed, i.e., lawn mower, etc. and draw you shed to scale. on another piece of paper draw out the area needed for the items, cut them out and play paper doll house. this will help you decide how big you need.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
I would consider a premanufactured shed. The Amish make really good ones.
I actually have a 7'x7'x7' Rubbermaid shed, was large enough for what I was going to store outdoors and needed it quick, was inexpensive ($500) and gets the job done.

Now later on I envision a two-car garage with wood shop and office over head, but that's later on.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #11
JOATMON

Ok....now that you know you can go 10x12.....floor selection is real important.

If you think you will never want to move or remove it....I would highly suggest concrete. It won't rot, rust or let critters live under it. Build it high enough so water does not get in and your going to protect your bike better. There is no better way to rust a bike than store it in a damp shed..

After that, the rest is easy....and remember....the attic of the shed can be a great place to store long things....like 10' sections of PVC pipe.

Make sure you make it critter proof....mice love cozy places like sheds.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 03-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #12
JOATMON

Or....build a 2-story garage like I did....

Click the link in my signature.....

Old 03-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Or....build a 2-story garage like I did....

Click the link in my signature.....
I like the idea - though it may look a little odd to add a garage that would be larger than my house

You all offer great information and I appreciate it, I feel like I at least have starting point.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #14
JOATMON

Quote:
I like the idea - though it may look a little odd to add a garage that would be larger than my house

You all offer great information and I appreciate it, I feel like I at least have starting point.
If it makes you feel any better.....until I started the 2-story addition, the garage WAS bigger than my house. House is 1027...garage 1040. 2 Adults, 3 kids....3 bedrooms....1 bath.....now we are living in a 2-bed, 1 bath house....yes....5 people sharing 1 bathroom.

Did I mention we only have 1 bathroom?

With luck, by summer we will be at 2100 sq ft, 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms....

Old 03-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
If it makes you feel any better.....until I started the 2-story addition, the garage WAS bigger than my house. House is 1027...garage 1040. 2 Adults, 3 kids....3 bedrooms....1 bath.....now we are living in a 2-bed, 1 bath house....yes....5 people sharing 1 bathroom.

Did I mention we only have 1 bathroom?

With luck, by summer we will be at 2100 sq ft, 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms....
Awesome - Your current experience will be well worth it once the addition is finished, that is for sure. Far more intense than anything I forsee going through - but then again, you never know what the future will bring!