New Redwood Gate (what Type Of Bolts To Attach To Wall?) - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 97

New Redwood Gate (what type of Bolts to attach to wall?)

So I am having a 9 foot 8" redwood double gate put up. Each side will be about 4.8 ft, both will open, and they will be about 65" tall. 2x6 redwood cap. I have a block wall on one side and the side of the house on the other.

I am thinking of attaching it to the wall using the 2part epoxy and using (3) 5/8" galvanized bolts to secure the 4x4 to the wall side. The nuts will be countersunk. Will this be adequate?

On the house side, I planed on attaching the 4x4 the same way the existing gate is secured. The prior owner drilled 5/8" holes through the stucco wall into the garage. On the inside of the garage he put 3foot sections of 2x6 across the studs and put the 5/8" bolts through the 4x4, through the wall, and through the 2x6 and placed a washer and nut on the inside.

I was planning on doing the same thing but this gate will be about 1 foot taller.

Sound plan or do you see issues?
Any recs on the epoxy system to use or one to avoid???
BTW, the cells of the block wall are filled with motar.
How far from the edge of the wall should the holes be drilled?

thanks!!!!

Advertisement

titan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 776

One concern I would have is how strong is the block wall? Did you build it or know how it was built? That gate is going to put a lot of load on it, if the foundation is not adequate, the wall may tilt over.

As far as your method of attachment goes, epoxy will work quite well, but you need to know what is going into (see above). A safer solution that would also help strengthen the wall would be to drill through the wall and put another 4 x 4 of Redwood or even a piece of channel iron on the backside, bolting through like you are planning on doing on the other side.

Advertisement

Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

I think the channel Iron is a good idea for both cases. With the stud wall make sure your top plate is well attached to your trusses, or rafters with collar beams and your sole plate is well anchored. I would span at least three studs in the three hinge locations, and use large strap hinges. For the masonry wall, it would be good if you were near a corner that returns back away. A vertical piece of channel iron through bolted with 1/2 inch hot dipped galvanized bolts with large flat washers would be good here. Channel Iron would be 4 x 2 x 3/16 Thick.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #4

Yes the wall was just built, it was built to code. Now this sounds a whole lot more complicated than I thought, I will post Some photos, I can't believe it's this complex
Old 04-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #5

Here is a photo

Old 04-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 776

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan7 View Post
Yes The wall was just built, it was built to code. Now this sounds a whole lot more complicated than I thought, I will post Some photos, I can't believe it's this complex
Glad to hear it was built to code, however, saying that really doesn't mean a lot. It was built to code to be a wall, it may not be strong enough to support a hanging load. It looks like it's only 8" block. If it is it isn't going to have a lot of strength horizontally, unless you embedded rebar in the foundation that extends up through all the courses of blocks. Also, does the wall have reinforcing between the layers?

It looks like the gate will be hinged at or very near the end of the wall, which makes it even worse. If you follow what we've suggested, even though it sounds complicated, you will have a decent chance of success. Otherwise, I'm afraid that the wall could fail.

Last edited by Msradell; 04-28-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #7
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,500

A wheel on the wall side gate would help counter the load.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

That wall won't hold a heavy gate opening and closing.
Can you concrete-in a 4x4 pt post against the wall? If it was of sufficient depth and well-concreted in, it would hold the gate. independently of the wall.
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #9
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony.g View Post
Can you concrete-in a 4x4 pt post against the wall? If it was of sufficient depth and well-concreted in
What about the wall footing I assume is just a few inches below grade?
Old 04-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
What about the wall footing I assume is just a few inches below grade?
Yes, it will be but I was assuming he would hack a gap through the existing footing and go deeper with a post, and then massfill with concrete. Might not be too pretty, but a pile of blocks on the side path won't!
Attached Thumbnails
New Redwood Gate (what type of Bolts to attach to wall?)-mini-scan1398.jpg  
Old 04-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #11
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony.g View Post
Yes, it will be but I was assuming he would hack a gap through the existing footing and go deeper with a post, and then massfill with concrete. Might not be too pretty, but a pile of blocks on the side path won't!
I knew you'd come back with a drawing of a notched footing. No location for OP so who knows, the footing could be down there 4' but I doubt it, Stucco and Redwood being a clue.

Still think a wheel would simplify things. How often do you need both gates open at the same time?
Old 04-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post

Still think a wheel would simplify things. How often do you need both gates open at the same time?
I think you're right there; a wheel would avoid all that graft and sweat!
The Following User Says Thank You to tony.g For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (04-28-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #13

The blocks are 5 1/2" wide and 15 1/2" long. This is a garden wall not a retaining wall. Rebar was place in the footing going up the entire wall in every other cell. All cells with rebar are fully grouted. Wow, I did not think this would be such an issue, the fence contractor was tellingly this no big deal but the last thing I need is the wall to start leaning. Perhaps I need to look at an aluminum gate I am sure that's a lot lighter then redwood?

I don't use the gate next to the house as the ac unit is behind it and it will only swing about 6" open before it hits the unit. I was only going with the double gate to avoid breaking up the slab for a footing and 4x4 post. Any other suggestions? I will post a pic from the other side also.

Advertisement