New Pool In Crawlspace - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
waveblasternutcase

Rewards Points: 25

New Pool In Crawlspace

We recently had some work done in our crawlspace. In order to gain access to the entire area, the contractor had to dig a hole to get under some of the ductwork that supports the furnace. Yesterday I discovered that this hole is now full of water. It is about 3 feet wide, 6 feet long and 12 inches at the deepest part. We are calling it The POOL. LOL!!! The company that did the work will not come out and fix the issue so it is left for us to deal with. There is a sump pump located in the crawlspace which has worked well in the past. My thinking is to connect the pool to the pump and let it handle the work. The pool is above the level of the pump basin and it is about 15 feet from one to the other. However, I cannot connect them in a straight line due to foundation footings (one right next to the pool) and the ground rises around the pool before sloping down towards the pump basin.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

WBNC

Advertisement

WBNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:35 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

New Pool In Crawlspace

Any possibility of siphoning with a garden hose?

Advertisement

CustomBuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:29 AM   #3
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,050

New Pool In Crawlspace

"The company that did the work will not come out and fix the issue so it is left for us to deal with." My first question is "why?" IF they dug the hole, ditch, pool, whatever you may call it, then I feel that it IS their responsibility to fill this hole in. I'm sure there may be legal issues here, which add cost on top of this problem. Other than that: IF your present sump pump is not easy to move to this location to reduce this water, what about a small, cost effective ( I don't like "cheap") sump portable sump pump to do this work? They make small 110 volt units you attach a garden hose to for discharge. Another option, which I would not like, would be to dig a ditch running from your "pool" to your sump pump location to allow the pool water to drain to the sump pump for removal. You would not have to run this in a straight line, water will flow around corners. Another option, which makes my back hurt just thinking about it, would be to get under there and fill it back in. Which I feel the contractor should do even now. Maybe even hire day labor to do this. Good Luck, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:19 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

New Pool In Crawlspace

What are you going to with the hole after you pump it out?
Fill it back in? If not it will fill back up
But if you fill it back in & they need to work on the ductwork you will be right back to paying to have a hole dug

If you think you won't have eny more duct work fill the hole in
Did they leave the dirt? I'd fill it in without pumping
You may find if you start pumping that water will continue filling inot the hole
And the surrounding dirt may start to collapse
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:20 AM   #5
waveblasternutcase

New Pool In Crawlspace

to be quite honest, i never thought of filling it in. my thought was to drain it to the sump pump and allow the pump to keep the level down. there was a make shift trench that runs to the pump and this hole kind of messed that up in a small way. i never saw surface water in this trench until late winter or early spring and the water that was there was small and did not move very fast. the bulk of the water for pump comes up from underneath.

this hole allows access to the rest of the crawlspace but it is not something that we need everyday. if i was to fill it in, where does the water go? this is frustrating since the contractor shows no interest in correcting the issue that they made.

btw - i can drain the pool in about 20 minutes with my shop vac and yes i feel that the contractor needs to come out and fix this. his response was to call him once i had it corrected so he could use that idea for future jobs. quote unquote!
WBNC

Last edited by WBNC; 11-10-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:59 AM   #6

New Pool In Crawlspace

If the water is ground water seepage it will go back into the ground
I had this issue at my last house - crawl space
I dug out an area for easier access & limited storage
The old sump pump pit was in the middle
I dug a new pit & put the old bathtub in there as a container
During wet weather the water would never go down past a certain point

If you need access to the other space I would dig a trench so that it will drain into the other sump pit
I would check the footing depth to make sure the pool will not erode soil from under the footings
Old 11-10-2009, 11:23 AM   #7
waveblasternutcase

New Pool In Crawlspace

thanks for the information. i will attempt to tackle this issue this weekend. i am also planning another call to the contractor for what it is worth
Old 11-16-2009, 02:09 PM   #8
waveblasternutcase

New Pool In Crawlspace

spent three hours digging a trench just to find out that the water level at the sump pump is higher than the trench. i could not get a good flow of water so basically i just made the hole bigger

i think at this point i will just fill in the hole, but alas, the dudes took the dirt with them....
Old 11-16-2009, 02:12 PM   #9

New Pool In Crawlspace

What is the sump pump pit constructed of ?

Can you just level the ground near the pit or fill some of it in with the dirt you dug from the trench ?

Seems you might want to keep access open to the other side
Old 11-16-2009, 02:41 PM   #10
waveblasternutcase

New Pool In Crawlspace

the sump pump sits in a basin at the entrance to the crawlspace. on 2 sides of the basin, the ground slopes down to the basin, one side is the entrance and the other is the main crawlspace area. one of the sloping sides has foundation footers and pier blocks close to it so i left that side alone. the other side, i discovered is about 3 inches of soil and then a large gravel bed. so a little digging on that side caused the gravel to cave in. my intent was to dig the trench far enough away from the pier blocks on one side but not too far into the hill on the other side. besides, i hit water in the trench before i could get it deep enough for the water to flow. hoping that this makes sense and i am very frustrated with this whole thing no pun intended...
Old 11-17-2009, 10:49 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 75

New Pool In Crawlspace

Have you figured out where the water is coming from?

If it's coming from the walls you could use a perimeter drain to direct the water instead of having it run through the basement.

If it's seeping up from the ground, you could get another zoeller m53 sump pump to pump from the 'pool' to the existing sump which I assume sends the water out of the basement properly.
walkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:01 PM   #12
waveblasternutcase

New Pool In Crawlspace

When I drain the pool, the water clearly comes up from the bottom. I think that i will just fill in the hole and dig it out later if needed. I had thought of putting a sump pump in it, but the water level would have to be really high up to activate the float and I would have to make the hole bigger....

Advertisement