Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #1

Share |

New Patio Roof Construction

On my patio the have 4x4 lagged/bolded into the veneer brick vertically. Then they have the roof construction bolted to the 4x4 on the sides.

Problems:
-Redoing the surface of the concrete patio, either stone or wooden deck.
-Roof is currently bowed in the middle
-Leaks water (all they did was run 2x4 and threw thing plywood over it then shingles)

The outter 4x4 that go into the concrete patio looks like there are stress cracks from the weight. Will get better pictures today.

I would like to put a new roof on, after I redo the patio. Concrete patio will remain here...

I was thinking of encasing the concrete patio with wood I am just not sure how to support the deck in the middle. Extend the deck past the concrete and put in sono tubes or deck blocks. Issue is support the middle of the deck and against the house.

Roof construction ideas? Roof needs to be raised.
Attached Thumbnails
New Patio Roof Construction-image-451391558.jpg   New Patio Roof Construction-image-3306103416.jpg  

ryanb4614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #2

Going to have to post more pictures then that.
This ones to dark and does not show how they tied the roof into the house.

You do plan on demoing that whole slab, right.
The beams your suggesting that have stress crack, have checking not stress cracks.
It will do no harm, and will not effect the top load streingth.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #3

Your profile doesn't list a location, so I'll guess and say you live where there's a frost line and frost heave has wreaked havoc on a slab that was basically just 3-4" of concrete poured over soil.

Your first order of business is addressing the floor. A wood deck may not be feasible, depending on the drop down from your door to the patio.

Also, I suspect those posts are simply resting on the concrete slab instead of on proper footings. You'll need to address that, too.
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #4

More photos
Attached Thumbnails
New Patio Roof Construction-image-2677614575.jpg   New Patio Roof Construction-image-1767662964.jpg  
Old 05-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #5

I see far more wrong then right on that roof, it's got to come down before it falls down.
The roof need to be run up onto the main roof house for several reasons.
So it would not leak where the roof roofs meet.
So the rafters are fully supported.
Gives you more slope so the roof could have more clearance over the door and the roofing would last longer.
Your rafters are not even close to being the right width for the lenght of run.

There's just nothing there worth saving.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #6

It will be coming down. I do not want it going into my main roof. That is beyond what I can do. I would like to keep the current concrete and put a deck over it. The new roof I would like it to be self standing.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:01 AM   #7

Roof design is quite a complex field and involves many calculations regarding the strength of the materials used. A roof has to withstand very high wind speeds and snow loading and each roof is designed to carry the covering, eg tiles, that is put on it
Old 07-16-2012, 05:53 AM   #8

The roof is off. It started to collapse when I was removing the shingles! My new plan is to put a big pergola over the patio just for shade. I do not want to mount the pergola to the house. What I am trying to decide is how to mount the post to the concrete. The concrete I have seen on the DIY network where they either poured sand all over a cracked patio, packed it down, and evened it out. Then they placed pavers. I have also seen where they took mortar and filled the cracks and put flag stone over the patio and again evened it our with mortar as they went along. My question is do I drill and screw the support brackets into the concrete first for the post or lay my material down first (pavers or flagstone) then drill into that material with a longer screw when it settled? I don't want water to collect on the wood and cause it to rot.